Four: Tail and Confession

In the amount of time she spent in the Napoleon, Meria did her best to study humans and how can she blend in. She's doing fine so far but still amazed on how things function. Like now, she found another thing that makes a dark liquid from dark beans. Joseph said it's coffee and that little thing is a coffee maker. She handled walking better now and she discovered a lot of things that amazes her.

She also noticed the energy she's losing without even moving. She doesn't know why until she talked to Agnes.

"You're body is still in the stage of transition so you may feel certain things like dizziness. Just soak yourself in water once in a while, much better if it's salt water or the ocean. We don't want to risk someone seeing you with a tail, are we?" Agnes explained

"Does that mean that my tails will show if I stay out of water for too long?" Meria asked

"Yes." Agnes answered. "So be careful, Meria. Human land is much more dangerous than it seems towards our kind." she warned her

Meria sighed. The connection between her and Agnes seems to be cut when she heard a knock on her door. She got up but instantly fall down with a loud thud. She groan.

"Meria?" Joseph's voice boomed on the other side of the door with worry "Everything alright?"

Meria's eyes widen in shock staring at her glimmering tail. "Shit" she muttered a word which she heard in the TV when people are frustrated.

Before she can utter another word, the door burst open.

"I'm just checking if your al---" Joseph's words seem to choke himself at the sight of a blue and green half of Meria. His face shows pure horror and before he can hear another word, his head started to spin and he slowly fell on the floor.

"Joseph!" Meria shouted in shock. She immediately drag herself closer to his unconscious form while still on her mermaid tail.

She can't forget the look on his face when he saw her tail. Was he scared? Meria wondered why. She stayed there thingking how long will it take before Joseph regain his consciousness and how long will she stay in her mermaid form?

She needs water but the problem is she can't find any and the bathroom seems so far away now that she can't walk.

Minutes later Meria started poking Joseph. He began to stir so she continued poking him. When he opened his eyes, her face is the first thing he saw looking down at him.

"How do you feel?" Meria asked

A wave of memories from moments ago seem to wash him and once again his face shows horror and confusion. "I saw you. You have a tail." he answered her getting up while holding his head

"Please don't panic. Don't shout." when Joseph realize that what he saw wasn't some kind of illusion and a dream, his emotions seems to highten to an extreme level.

Before Joseph could shout or so it seems for Meria, she immediately covered his mouth by her hand. "Please calm down." she whispered not wanting any more attention from someone who might hear them.

While Joseph was unconscious,  Meria thought of ways on how she can get through the situation safe and without harming any body. She felt bad on the thought of compelling Joseph when he saved him from a possible drowning, so she decided against it.

Hoping that Joseph won't black out this time, she wants him to understand. Holding him down on the floor, she used a simple magic to prevent him from moving. She can't risk him trying anything that will push her to do harm.

"What did you do?!" panic is visible on Joseph's voice

"Joseph, calm down. I will try to explain but I need you to calm down." she said with caution

"What the fuck is this? What did you do to me?" he asked trying to get himself out but failed.

Guilt nudge Meria but she can't risk anything. If she fail to do the thing she seed to do, the whole Oceana will fall.

"I am sorry Joseph. I need to do this but believe me, I mean no harm." she said. Her eyes searching for his

He still can't believe what he saw but seeing it on the second time, it's became clearer now. The girl she saved from the ocean is a mermaid. She took a mermaid from the ocean. Does that have a certain punishment?

But she doesn't have a tail when he found him, he wondered.

"This is nuts." he muttered, "I must be out of my mind. I am seeing impossible things."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean look at you. This isn't real. Mermaids aren't real. I must be dreaming."

Before he can continue, Meria slap him across the face.

"What the!"

"See? I am real. You aren't dreaming."

When Joseph realized what she means, his senses seems to come back to him. There's no way he's believing it's true but considering the woman she saved infront of her with a tale, it's just ridiculously crazy.

Meria look at him in confusion when he started laughing.

"You're real? Are you bullshiting me?" Joseph said as if he heard the craziest joke. "Please tell me that this is all an act because there's no way that I took a sea creature out of the ocean."

"Listen," Meria look at him straight in the eyes. "Just because mermaids doesn't exist in your own land, doesn't mean we're not real."

Joseph look at her with complete confusion and doubt.

"I must be hard to believe but you need to believe that this is real. I am a mermaid and I am real, Joseph."

Joseph blink rapidly and swallowed the lump in his throat. "Y-Your a m-mermaid..." he said looking at her complete form before his eyes.

Meria nodded. "You must be confused but our kingdom and the whole Oceana is in danger and I am in your land looking for someone who can help."

"Who are you?"

"I am Meria, princess of Oceana. Protector of the sea and a guardian of water."