Chapter 7: At Long Last

Start from the beginning

"Actually, I haven't eaten in a few days," Atsushi replied with little energy to spare. Seemed like my stomach was also in dire need of food, so it growled even louder than Atsushi.

"How odd. I'm also hungry." I told him.

"Really! Then-" Atsushi started with stars in his eyes.

"Ah, but the river swept away my wallet." I said, tongue sticking out and arm behind my head. Just my normal, everyday ditzy act.

Atsushi looked dejected, but then turned to look at Kirino with his puppy eyes in hope.

Kirino chuckled a bit, before shaking her head. "Sorry Atsushi-kun, I don't have any on me. Ah but someone is on their way... right around now!" I said.

Right on cue, someone yells from across the river, "Oi! There you are blockhead!"

"Oh, nice work Kunikida-kun." Dazai yelled back waving happily.

"What do you mean 'nice work'? Who do you think caused me to do all this work, you suicidal maniac?! I've had enough of you disrupting my schedule!" Kunikida yelled in frustration. Ah same-ole routine. Hurts my ears sometimes, like now, so I cut him off and spoke to Atsushi instead.

"He's a colleague of mine, he can treat us to dinner!" I offered to the poor, starving boy.

"HUH?! ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME?!" Kunikida yelled even angrier.

Seems like Kirino caught on to my idea, also ignoring Kunikida, she asks, "What would you like to eat?"

"Kirino-chan, I'm so glad you asked! I want to eat-"

"Not you, I was asking Atsushi-kun!" Kirino said shutting me down.

I then proceeded to crouch down, facing away from her, looking sad so she would hopefully take pity on me for being so mean. I swear a mini black raincloud was atop my head at this very moment. 

"Um, if it's not a bother, I'd like to eat tea on rice." Atsushi said with a shy, fond voice.

Kirino and I burst out in laughter, definitely not what we were expecting.

"Very well, lets go eat tea on rice! Kunikida-kun can treat you to thirty bowls of that!" I concluded with a wink towards the boy, making sure I was loud enough for Kunikida to hear. A double win situation. We all get free food AND I get to tick off Kunikida even more. The joys of life is sure with me today.

"Don't just offer to pay a meal with my money, Dazai! And don't just keep laughing Hikoku!" Kunikida yelled with his arms on his hips. "Wait-- HIKOKU YOU'RE BACK? WHY DIDN'T YOU REPORT BACK TO THE PRESIDENT?!" he yelled again with anger marks all over his face.

"I was going to but then I saw Dazai here so I wanted to stop by!" Kirino yelled in response. 

"Dazai? Hikoku?" Atsushi asked confused.

"Oh yes, how rude of us. My name is Dazai. Dazai Osamu. The pretty lady next to you is Hikoku Kirino." I introduced. 

Kirino's POV

"Unbelievable. Who goes "that's a nice river" and jumps in the middle of a job? This is why we're off schedule! And Hikoku why are you eating as well?" Kunikida said in irritation.

We were currently at an old tea house that serves tea on rice. "Well I just so happen to come back from a four-year mission, didn't have breakfast or lunch, and I'm injured. I'm in dire need of energy or else I'll collapse. I also like to eat tea on rice, so why not? I'll pay you back later Kunikida-kun." I replied to him while waving my hand dismissively.

"Hmph. At least you pay me back, unlike a certain someone over there." Kunikda said and pushed up his glasses to glare at Dazai.

"You sure like your schedules" Dazai said lazily. This was a conversation I've heard before, so I tuned out and decided to focus on the delicious food in my mouth and the boy stuffing food in his mouth next to me.

I didn't come back to the conversation until I heard Atsushi mention 'orphanage'. The word will always remind me of Odasaku.

"I grew up in an orphanage, but they kicked me out." Atsushi said.

"Hey Dazai, don't go trying to be a philantropist here. Let's get back to the job." Kunikida said.

"Eh? But look at this cute kid! I'm sure there are people who would've helped Atsushi-kun." I said while putting my hand on Atushi's shoulders. Outwardly, it may have seem like a simple gesture, but in actuality, it was holding me up. This situation reminded me too much of Odasaku and his beliefs.

"You mentioned work earlier, what are your jobs anyways?" Atsushi asked curiously.

"Oh, we're just private investigators for the Armed Detective Agency." Dazai said in a dismissive tone, but anyone who knew of our work wouldn't put his words at face value.

"We are an organization with individuals possessing supernatural powers, handling work that can't be done by the police or the military." Kunikida explained further. The look on Atsushi's face told us all he has heard of us before, but also wondering if the two idiots over there actually possessed such acclaimed powers. I guess anyone wouldn't actually take us seriously unless they saw us in action.

"Let's get back to our mission, we still haven't found the tiger yet." Kunikida said, calming down from his previous tantrum.

"Tiger?" Atsushi and I asked.

"Yeah, apparently a tiger has appeared around here lately, ransacking farms and doing whatever it wants." Dazai explained. As soon Atsushi heard that, he jumped from his seat and onto the ground, his face showing absolute terror. He tried to leave, but before he could, Kunikida grabbed him from the back of his collar.

"Wait, Atsushi-kun. Do you know something?" I asked.

"Speak up now brat." Kunikida spoke as well, further intimidating the boy.

"It almost killed me and shows up wherever I go. My orphanage was trashed by that tiger and since the orphanage was already low on budget, they kicked me out on the street. I last saw it four days ago at Tsurumi." Atsushi said sadly, as if he were giving up on life. He seemed to be recalling some memories that plagued his mind. I gave Dazai a side glance and he nodded at me. Something wasn't right here.

"Atsushi-kun, are you free? Please help us find the tiger. Also, Kunikida-kun, please take this note with you to the President." Dazai said.

"Don't tell me you're going to catch the tiger with just the three of you." Kunikida said, but taking the note nonetheless.

"Don't worry, we can definitely handle it." Dazai said with a glint in his eye. Kunikida must've taken the hint since he didn't question it any further.

"I'm coming too!" I hear Kirino pipe up. 

"No." I immediately refused. I don't know how she's lasted this long, but she needs medical attention. I only let her come to the tea house for food because she begged me earlier. 

"I'm fine, Osamu! A few more hours isn't going to hurt me too much." she argued. I could only sigh. She won't budge once she's made up her mind, just like when she accepted to go on that mission. 

"Don't ignore me! I won't go! I refuse! I absolutely refuse to go! You're going to use me as bait right?" Atsushi yelled.

"But there would be a reward for your service~" Dazai cooed, hitting the bullseye. He even calculated the amount and showed it to Atsushi. His expression was priceless!

"Well, if there's nothing else to do here. Let's head to the place." Dazai said giving me another glance to confirm his thoughts. And with that we headed out.

If you liked reading this chapter, please don't forget to hit 'vote'! It's a way of telling me, 'Good job!' or "Keep it up!"