Chapter 8: Hazel

"I'm Bi," he said quietly, avoiding his new parents' eyes. His own traced the pattern of the table cloth, a blue checked cotton one. He held his breathe awaiting a reaction.

"Oh," was all the reaction he got. Then a silence, deafening him with its loudness. He knew what they were thinking. He knew their views. But he couldn't hide it anymore.

The silence continued for the rest of the night, leaving Alexander to contemplate what his life was going to be like now that they knew. He had no clue what the morning would bring, but right then, he didn't care.

Hazel: An eye color, somewhere between Brown and Green.

Alex PoV:

Monday's always dragged by, at least, to Alexander they did. He had to wake up early after a long weekend of writing. He had to be social. He had made friends though, but not many. That, however, was soon going to change.

He had seen him around a few times, before they had started to kinda talk. He had seen the curls and the freckles. The hazel eyes. That morning in particular, Alexander was in a mood. He was grumpy. He was tired. He did not want to talk to anyone. But then a tan ray of sunshine accidentally knocked into him, causing him to fall to the floor.

"Shit, Alex!" John shrieked as the taller boy reached to help Alexander up. "Shit I'm so sorry I should have been more careful."

Alexander, however, was at a loss for words for the first time in his life. His mind went blank. Except, of course, for John's eyes. The gentleness and beauty of the hazel orbs. A smile blossomed on Alexander's face.

"I'm fine John, really," Alex said in his daze, scanning John's face, absorbing every inch of it.

He honestly had never truly seen John, not till then. They had been friends, hanging out at lunch and sometimes at the library after school, but never alone and Alexander was almost always absorbed in a book. Now, well, now he wanted to get to know this man in front of him even better.

"Alex! Alex, dude!" John said a little loudly, shaking him slightly. "Alex the bell rang.  Are you sure you're ok?"

Alexander nodded at John. "But, maybe walk me to class?" He asked innocently, attempting to spend as much time with John as he could. John smiled, and Alexander wondered how he had never taken the time to hang out or just look at this other boy.

"So, Alex, you gonna audition for the musical the Galavants are putting on?" John asked innocently enough, and Alexander looked up.

"I was thinking about it, why?" He asked, wondering if John was having the same thoughts he was.

"Well, Peggy and Herc and Laf and a few others were looking through monologues and songs over the weekend, and I found a song that you might wanna use," the freckled boy said a little sheepishly.

"Yeah, that would be nice," Alex responded simply. Then he thought of a question that had been on his mind. "Hey, had you ever heard of the musical?"

John nodded. "I know a few of the songs from Miranda." By a few, he meant literally all of them, but he didn't want Alex to know how big of a nerd he was.

And then suddenly, the door to Alexander's class was in front of them. Alex waved goodbye to John and stepped into his English class. After side stepping a group of people standing in his way, he went to sit down in his seat. To his surprise, the seat next to his was no longer empty. Instead, there sat a boy with his hat on backwards, blonde hair, a small dirt smudge on his cheek and a crutch leaning against the wall.

"Hi, I'm Charlie," the kid said with a blinding smile. "But most people call me Crutchie."

Alex smiled and held out his hand to shake. "I'm Alexander Hamilton. It's nice to meet you."

A voice from behind startled him. "Alexander, did you do the ho- Oh, hi, are you new?" Eliza suddenly was next to Alexander, looking at the new kid. Crutchie nodded. "I'm Elizabeth Schuyler. You look a little young, are you a sophomore?" A nod from Crutchie was all she needed to continue her spiel. "I have a sister who's a sophomore. Peggy, well, Margarita. She'll kill you if you call her that. Then I have another sister, Angelica, a grade above me, so a senior. I'm a junior, Alex is too. Then there's John and-"

Alex laughed. "Betsy, don't frighten the poor kid." He patted Crutchie's back and smiled. "Usually I do the talking. But if you want we could introduce you to our group, then they could tell you about themselves instead of you learning about them from a long list."

Crutchie beamed again. "Sure I'd love that, if ya don't mind I mean."

However, any response from either Eliza or Alex was cut off as the bell rang, and class started. As the door flew open, their teacher, Mr. William Shakespeare, strutted into the room, shouting at the teacher in the next classroom over, Mr. Nick Bottom, about some Hamlet plot. Typical.

Throughout the remainder of the day, Alexander found his thoughts wandering to John Laurens. He couldn't put his finger on it, but something about that boy just made him feel... weird. But a good weird. Like a rollercoaster. So, as he let his mind drift, he also imagined how the next few months might unfold.

He had no idea.

Hehehehe hi! *peeks out from hiding spot* so, did you miss me? *ducks in case things get thrown* OK OK OK IM SORRY IM BACK I PROMISE! I got a computer so I can write better, and more often! And a free period to do so. It's nice to be back!

Also in other news, THIRTY FUCKING THOUSAND READS OML REALLY???? I do read every comment, cherish every like. That's what spurred this on. And I just opened up the app to see 30,000 reads and I just thought... fuck... I better update before people start getting mad and also... OMG WTF AHHHHHHHHHHHHH IM SO HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO MUCH YOU GUYS!!!

Anyway, have an amazing day, and I hope to update soon!!

-Emma