Chapter 8

Alone

Someone is poking me.

I opened my eyes slowly and the first thing that I visualise are blue eyes staring right into mine. I lean back in surprise to see that I overslept.

Caius is already home! I searched for the clock and I see one next to the bed.

6:34 pm

"Oh shit. I slept too long!" I gasped, sitting up. Caius stood straight and crossed his arms. He is not wearing his coat anymore and his clothes are still properly neat like how he left this morning.

I was going to sit up quickly but he stopped me as he places a hand on my shoulder. "Claire told me that you barely ate your lunch? Didn't you like the food?" He buries his hands inside the pockets of his slacks.

"I like the food, it's delicious." I straightened up my back and leaned my back on the headboard.

"What? Homesick?" He asked, taking a seat nearby and brings out something from his pockets then threw it at me.

I caught it in the air and looked at it with confusion. Is this man messing with me? "Candy...?"

"Dr. Thompson wanted to give you that."

Jonny...now that he mentions him. I kinds missed that man's jokes and annoying voice. He always know how to take away my boredom. And now, I wonder how he was doing at the hospital.

"Are you going to eat dinner?" I asked him, placing the candy on the bedside table. I never lied candies anyway but I appreciate the thought.

"I already ate dinner before I went home." Caius stands up then without any second thoughts or warnings, he removed his shirt and walks around topless. "You? you want to eat?"

I shook my head. I'm not in the mood to eat right now. But I really don't eat dinner most of the time though and it's kinda bit of a hobby, as crazy as it sounds.

"A therapist will come tomorrow to start your sessions. She will help you walk again."

"Alright." I murmured, crossing my arms across my chest then sigh deeply. I still feel so dizzy though. "The maids are addressing me too formal here in your household. I'm not comfortable with it." I started.

"They should address you just the way they should treat their boss. They are here to serve you, not be friends." He answered, straightly.

I expect that he would say that though. He seems to be the type of man who wants people to do what their roles are.

"I got the chance to talk to Claire, she's nice. She seems to know a lot about your family."

"Well she doesn't have the right to tell some stories about my family." His facial expression darkens. "Did she said something about my family?"

"No, all she said is that she has been working for the Bateman for more than forty years." I answered, playing with my fingers, slightly being scared of his reaction. I don't want someone to get in trouble because of my curiosity, especially Claire who did nothing wrong. She just answered my questions.

"I better talk to Claire to zip her mouth before she starts to say something." He jeered.

"Don't! She didn't say anything beyond that! She said that because I asked her! After saying that she immediately stops talking." I stopped him, didn't expect that he would be this angry about it.

Is this how he really treats his staffs? Claire knows him since he was a child, for sure. But why he does he treats her like crap? She doesn't deserve that in the first place. In Dad's house, where we all grew up, I treat everyone even the maids like family. I let them join us for holidays like Christmas, and even birthdays. I never seen someone so harsh on people.