Meeting Shea

River and Ace were walking down the street, discussing big plans for the circus when suddenly a red headed girl ran into River

River and Ace were walking down the street, discussing big plans for the circus when suddenly a red headed girl ran into River. River was almost knocked down at the sudden impact but she quickly recovered and looked at the frightened girl in front of her.
"Hey, you okay?"
The girl only nodded as her response. She had tears in her eyes as she finally made eye contact with River. The girl was on the verge of crying, holding back so she could correct herself from her previous silent answer. She shook her head, signaling that she wasn't okay. River's and Ace's expression turned to concern and worry as River spoke up again.
"What's your name?"
She didn't respond. Only looking up at them with sad eyes. The silent girl got an idea. She grabbed River's hand and guided her to the nearest store with a window. Ace followed close behind as the girl breathed on the window, making the glass fog up. The girl began spelling out a word.
'S...H...E...A'.
After spelling out the word on the foggy window, the girl pointed to herself. River recognized very quickly what was going on.
"Your name is Shea?"
River asked. The girl nodded quickly and River smiled.
"Well Shea, I'm River and this is Ace. You seemed to be in a rush. Are you running away from something?"
Shea nodded and jumped in fear at the sound of a loud voices that was all too familiar to her. It was her parents. The anger and tension from her parents could be sensed a mile away. Shea hid behind River and Ace in fear as her parents approached. River and Ace quickly picked up on what was going on as they stood in front of Shea protectively, arms crossed. The mother spoke up,
"Shea! You stop hiding and running away! Your father and I are tired of hunting down your sorry ass!"
The father began speaking but with his slurred words, River and Ace could tell he was drunk.
"Shea! Let's go home, now! You will get your ass handed to you when we get home!"
River's brows raised at the words and glared at the couple.
"You are not laying a finger on this girl. We are not letting her go home with you two."
The parents had a mix emotion of confusion and anger as they looked at River. The mother put her hands on her hips.
"Excuse you. Why don't you mind your business, freak."
At that moment, Ace stepped in. He used his height to his advantage and glared at the couple.
"Get lost. Shea is staying with us."
The parents took a step back and shrugged. The father chimed in, "Whatever, that child ruined our lives anyway. It will be a relief having her gone."
The parents stumbled down the street and out of sight. Shea hugged both River and Ace in gratitude. River smiled at Shea and held her hand out. "Shea, come join my circus. You will be free of harm. I think I have a very important position opening just for you."
Shea smiled and shook Rivers hand in agreement. River grinned and Shea joined them on their journey. River spoke up,
"Shea, the marvelous mime! How does that sound?"
Ace rolled his eyes jokingly at how excited River was getting. Shea nodded happily. The three made their way to the outskirts of the town where red and white stripped tents occupied. This is their home.