Meeting Ace...

River was in the need of members for her circus

River was in the need of members for her circus. She roamed around the town looking for anyone that could be a possibility of joining her circus. River walked for hours unsuccessfully finding anyone for her circus. As time passed, she grew lonely and tired. River stumbled her way into a local bar. She sat down on the tall, wooden stool that seemed too wobbly to sit on. Next to her was a man with dark shaggy hair shuffling a deck of cards by himself. River became interested in this lonely man as she watched his hands move the cards around smoothly. River noticed a spades tattoo on the stranger right hand. She finally decided to speak to the gentleman.
"Nice tattoo. I suppose you are very much into cards. Do you do tricks?" The man looked at River and only shrugged before returning his focus to his deck of cards. River spoke again in an attempt to gain his attention.
"I'm sure you can go places just with a bunch of tricks with cards. What's your name?"
The man glanced at River once more before finally speaking.
"The names Ace...and yeah I can do a few tricks."
River smiled as she grew excited. "Prove it. Show me a trick."
And with that, Ace gave River his full attention as he shuffled the cards again and spreading them out evenly in his hands.
"Pick a card."
River obediently pulled a random card from the deck and looked at it. It was the king of hearts. Ace set the deck down and looked at River.
"Remember your card. And now put the card in your between both of your hands"
River made sure to not show her card to Ace as she put her hands together, keeping the card tight between her palms. Ace simply touched Rivers hands.
"Alright look at your card now"
River separated her hands to look at her card which was once the king of hearts, now it has somehow mysteriously changed to the ace of spades. Rivers jaw dropped as she looked at Ace.
"No way! That's magic!"
Ace smiled proudly and shrugged as he gathered his deck of cards and stood up from his chair.
"It's what I do."
River grinned happily as she found a potential member for her circus.
"Ace, I have an offer for you. My name is River and I want you to join my circus. You will be the first one but it will be a growing success. Will you join me?"
Ace thought for a moment before shrugging.
"Sure."
They shook hands in agreement and walked out the bar together. From then on, Ace and River became great friends. He became Rivers right hand man for the circus and helped out a lot in finding new members.