Chapter Three: Adapting and Changing

Start from the beginning

Derek managed to climb through lazily and jumped off the branch right onto my bed that was right next to the window. "Ta-da!" He shot his hands up into a cheerful pose.

"Get the fuck off my bed!" I shoved him off to the floor. Derek fell gracefully, I had no idea people could do that, but he did. He stood and then grumbled the word 'bitch'. "What do you want?"

"Here," he said, handing me the brown paper bag.

"What is it?"

"Just open the damn bag," he then flung it at me.

I caught it and it felt heavy in my hands. I opened it and saw two mashed up donuts and a small carton of milk. I gave him a face and started to hand it back, "This isn't going to excuse what you did last night. You owe me, big time."

Derek shoved my hand back, "Take the damn donuts and be grateful you got anything."

"Why should I be grateful, you owe me, remember?"

"I wasn't even going to give you diddley-squat, but you made such a big deal over a phone, that didn't have anything of value in it, I had to give you some donuts!"

I threw the paper bag at him, "Get out of my room!"

He shot his hands up defensively and started to back away, "Okay, fine. Don't take the donuts." He picked up the bag, "I will see you at school then."

I started to shove him out when I heard my mother start walking up the steps again. There was no time for Derek to open the window and climb down without my mother noticing him. I grabbed his shirt and threw him to the floor. He fell with a grunt that was loud enough for my mother to hear.

"Gwenyth? Are you all right?" She started to turn the doorknob.

I kicked Derek as a signal to go under my bed and he did immediately before my mother opened the door all the way. "Downstairs. Food. Now." She gave me one of those evil mom looks.

I said okay and picked up my bag and headed downstairs with her to the kitchen where my family sat eating. My dad had his phone out and emailing his coworkers about business stuff while my brother finished up his scrambled eggs while he picked up his skateboard and gave a little wave as he ran out the door. There was an empty seat with a full plate next to my dad where I assumed I was going to eat.

My mother has been making us eat together lately and it has not been going well so far. We were all used to having busy schedules and we all ate at different times. I should say that my mother and father had busy work schedules and my brother always made friends and joined the school baseball teams. I had no life. I went to school to learn a thing or two and I came home to an empty house and ate dinner alone until everyone came home late at night. That was the kind of life I was used to, but lately my mother has wanted us all to make time together.

My mother wanted to go as far as quit her job so she could be home more for all of us, but I reassured her that I was doing okay and everyone else said she didn't have to. My mom liked working anyway and she went crazy if she had nothing productive to do.

She gestured for me to sit at the table and sat down across from me. "How is school going, Gwen?"

"Okay, I guess. But I am not changing my mind. If I don't like it, I will get homeschooled no matter what you say." I picked up my fork and started to eat my now cold scrambled eggs.

My mother just nodded and didn't say anything else for a while. It put me on edge, Derek was in my bedroom under my bed.

My dad looked up from his phone and smiled at me. He looked at mom and looked at me again, "What are we talking about?"