Chapter Three: Adapting and Changing

Start from the beginning

I stood there for what seemed like a whole hour and slowly took the phone away from his hands. I never broke eye contact with him and slowly started to close the door.

"Thanks," he muttered and started to turn when I saw big black splotches on his pants.

"Are you okay? Did you fall off my tree?"

He turned around and looked at me with wide eyes that shrunk down and a smile flew back on his face, "No."

I then closed the door.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning I woke up pretty late and didn't bother to put on makeup. I just threw on an oversized black shirt with a picture of a skull and some worn out jeans. I put on my pea coat and boots when I hear my mother shouting at me to come down and eat some breakfast. I wasn't hungry or did I ever think I would be today.

I stayed up all night looking through my phone trying to find a trace of Derek anywhere, but I saw nothing. He only changed my wallpaper to Elmo smoking a cigarette and wearing sunglasses, but that was it. He couldn't do much anyway because it was a new phone with no contacts or anything useful in it. There was no credit card information, passwords to my social media accounts. Nothing.

I was a bit relieved but mostly ticked off. If this had happened earlier this year I would have a whole web history of murderer documentaries in there which would look suspicious and creepy to anyone who came across it.

Remembering the way he said "and I was going to call you about it and it turns out you don't have any house number to your house and I wasn't going to call your parents- which is the only numbers you have on this phone...which was totally weird..." made me swell of embarrassment in my chest. I shook my head and hand trying to cool myself down, but I wanted to dig a hole of six feet and bury myself in it.

"Gwenyth Livingston, you better get down here and eat these scrambled eggs!"

I grabbed my bag and started to go out of my room when I heard a knock on my window.

I look up and see Derek there smiling at me while he waved at me to open the window.I blushed and dropped my bag to the floor as I rushed over and shut the curtains.

"C'mon Gwen! Open up!" He started knocking on the glass again.

I couldn't stand it. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs and maybe even shove him off the tree to his death. My body was shaking in anger and fear wondering how much he saw.

"Open up! I won't hurt you, promise!" Derek knocked, "I have something for you!"

I opened the curtains and crossed my arms over my chest and I gave him the meanest look I could muster. But he still smiled at me holding a brown paper bag. He had no sweater and he had on a white button up shirt that wasn't buttoned with a black shirt underneath. His jeans a dark grey/ army green colored with designer tears in them with his nice old beat up shoes. He looked like he had no care in the world.

"Are you going to open the window? If not, I can go ring the doorbell again and ask if you are home?" Derek put the bag to his mouth and started to climb down.

"NO! Wait!" I opened the window and held my hand out to help him over.

"Gwenyth? Are you coming down?" I heard my mother start walking up the steps.

"Yeah! Yeah, I will be right there! Hold on! I am still changing!" I hollered back at her and the sounds of the steps stopped.

"Okay, but hurry up!" The footsteps descended back into the kitchen.