Chapter Two: The New Girl

Start from the beginning

The demon was close, real close when I saw her. He was perched on a tree watching her walk down the road. His talons gripping onto the branch with hunger in his eyes. The owl could have fooled anyone into thinking it was an innocent creature, but it was actually a class C demon.

Gwenyth knew nothing about it of course, but there was something that was going on there for a moment. It looked like she knew something. It made me stop and watch her see what she would do. But she just stopped and stood there. The demon must have known that she knew nothing. There was no reason for her to know, but I could see that she knew he was there watching her. She started to move her head looking around for something she could not see.

The bird moved closer, getting more brave by the second watching her every move and so was I- only difference was that I was not going to let him hurt her.

I let myself be known to the demon by running towards him. The owl swiftly spreads his wings and flies away towards the east. I was not about to kill him either, I will cross him again soon. He has been around this area for a while now

That's when Gwenyth walked faster to the wrong direction of the nearest town. This girl had no idea where she was going and the way she hugged her coat made me a bit worried. I couldn't let her walk out here by herself. The demon would be back. The demon always returns to the scene of the crime, even though there was none. They liked to hunt in small areas and they stayed as much as they could. Real protective entities they were.

Now she is in my truck. My piece-of-shit truck that almost crushed me in the summer.

"Why were you all the way out here? I saw you at the school. Seems weird that you were going home around the same time I was," she asked harshly.

So she was not a talker but not a silent type either.

"I needed to run home and pick up a few things."

"What things?"

"I needed to pick up lunch money, my chemistry II book, and my cigarettes," I dug into my pocket really quick and threw the pack of nicotine gum at her. "But I have been wanting to quit for a while."

She sat straight up and picked up the pack, "You smoke?"

"You don't?" I could already feel myself getting defensive.

"No, because I am still a teenager."

"Teenagers smoke, it is legal. Eighteen is still a teenager, you know?" I smiled at her and went back at looking at the road.

"You're eighteen?" she gasped.

"No, I am a little over seventeen, give or take."

"Oh," she put the gum in the glove compartment.

"How old are you?"

She didn't give me an answer right away, "I'm sixteen."

"So you're a Senior?"

"Junior," she said. Gwenyth sighed and started to rub her forehead, "Just take me back to school."

"I thought you wanted to go home?"

"I did, but now I don't. Can you take me back?"

I shifted gears and stopped the truck. "Want to go home or school? You gotta choose because this is a one way ticket, sister."

Gwenyth looked back at me and paused. "I want to go back. There is nothing to do at home anyways."

I gave her an okay-whatever-you-say look and popped the clutch.

She was a gloomy mess. She didn't talk to me the whole way back to the school. She held on her bag tightly and chewed on her hair. I tried small talk with her and she gave me nothing but soft grunts.