Chapter 2

A deafening crack tore through the air, causing Angus to throw his hands over his ears. A wave of light knocked him back and he saw the fragile form of the boy drop to the floor through the gaps in his fingers.

Nicholas rushed past him to the fallen frame of the boy, shaking his shoulders.

"What the fuck did you do, Ben?" Nicholas spat, hand laying against the boys shoulder.

"I didn't- he... he just..." the worker stuttered, terrified.

"We have TALKED again and again! Fuck. Everyone home. Now." Nicholas yelled. The workers scrambled towards their fires, grabbing shirts and caps before spilling out of the dock gate.

When everything was calm once again and only Nicholas, Angus and the boy remained, attempts to wake him resumed.

"Kai? Kai!" Nick shook the boy, lightly slapping his face. Kai let out a soft groan and his eyes fluttered open. Ivory white met with Angus's dark blue and Kai lifted himself onto his knees.

Nicholas sat back with a sigh, scrubbing his hands across his face. Angus' shocked confusion, Nicholas' relief and Kai's ashamed pain mingled into one wave of silence.

"Fuck, I'm so sorry." Kai breathed, letting the tears fall. Nick dragged the sobbing boy into his arms and held him closely, whispering against his hair. Angus frowned curiously at the boy he now knew as Kai, tilting his head back as if he had an idea.

After Kai had dried his tears, Nicholas had told him to head home to get some rest. Angus caught up with him on his way to his fire.

"Hey. Kai, right?" He smiled softly. Kai nodded once. "I'm Angus."
"I know."
"So- uh... does that happen a lot?" Instantly, Angus knew he had asked the wrong thing. Kai's jaw clenched violently and he turned to look at Angus through his black wavy fringe.

"Just drop it." Angus would normally have sliced the throat of anyone who would disrespect him in such a way. This boy, however, was different.

"I apologise." Angus said sincerely, but Kai just rolled his eyes and began to walk away. Tripping as he tried to catch up, Angus latched onto the boys wrist to stop him from leaving.

"How old are you?" Angus asked. Kai scoffed.
"I'm 17, sir." Angus just nodded. "Can you let go of me?" Kai muttered, his healthy cheek blushing.

Angus looked down, as if he had forgotten his hand was wrapped around the young boys wrist. He chuckled lowly and released his grip.

"See you later, Kai." Angus smiled.
"Yeah. Bye." Kai mumbled. He just really needed to get home. He parted from the Captain to go through the wrought iron gates. As if stepping through a portal, he was suddenly thrown into a pitching maelstrom of chatter and colour.

He pushed through the crowd, reaching into his back pocket. His grubby fingers closed around his only cold metal disk. The shilling felt smooth against his calloused fingers and he savoured it. He knew that he would be on the scrounge now, if this was his last money.

Twenty minutes later, carrying a special treat in a brown paper bag, Kai pushed open the door to his home.

There was five of them. His grandmother, Azya Salem, his uncle Oliver, his father Matthias, his sister Cura and Kai himself. As he opened the door, there came a resounding cheer. Azya turned from her place by the fire to wave cheerily, Oliver and Matthias laughed as he walked in, jogging over to give him a rough bear hug. Kai giggled, suddenly smothered by sweaty tank shirts.
"Eugh!" He laughed, shoving at Matthias shoulder. As the beefy man finally moved, Kai caught a glimpse of a little girl smiling up at him from under the table.

"Oh, I wonder where Cura is! It's such a shame!" He turned obviously back towards the door, raising his voice slightly, "I even got her a special treat! But hey, if she doesn't—-hey!" Kai was tackled from behind, skinny pale arms wrapping around his thigh. He turned with a laugh, ruffling his sisters mop of dark curls.
"Kai!" She piped, grinning. He handed her the paper bag with a returning smile. She clumsily fiddled with the paper, having to ask Kai for help before she could get into it.

"Cimmon roll!" She squealed happily. Azya chuckled at the girl, nodding at Kai in approval. The little girl smiled too, showing gapped teeth and crinkling her almond eyes. Her nose was quite flat against her face and her eyebrows were practically invisible.

Kai ruffled her hair again, taking her hand and walking her over to the fire place. Azya sat her down in front of her and began to braid her hair, singing softly.

Watching with a warm smile, Kai turned and walked over to the meagre supply of food in their tiny pantry. He pulled out a few old potatoes and a few cloves of garlic.

Around twelve minutes later, the family was sat around their rotten wood table, sipping hot potato soup from their bowls. Kai has just poured himself a bowl when there came a knock on the door.

Frowning in confusion, the boy put his bowl down softly and walked over. He opened the door cautiously. There stood Angus, leaning nonchalantly against the door frame.

Kai slipped out of the door through a small gap, closing it tightly behind him.

"What can I do for you sir?" The boy asked impatiently.

"Ah, Mr Salem. I have a proposition for you."