━━ chapter eight.

Start from the beginning

"Hold on tight." she notified him. Gently yanking the reins, the three of them rode out of the forest.

▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHE HEARD VOICES while she slept, loud and violent. A loud thud woke her up, as she sat up in her bed. It seemed to be her mother and father arguing over a certain issue. She pressed her ear against her wooden bedroom door, trying to figure out what her mother and father were talking about.

"This is not something you should confront the king with." Her mother sounded scared.

"He is lying to his people, by housing a creature like that." her father shouted out.

"She's sleeping." Her mother reminded him about Astrid.

"Our daughter has been playing around with a Frost Giant child!" Her father continued shouting.

"We will talk about this tomorrow morning. Please do not confront Odin with this."

Her eyes felt heavy before she couldn't keep them open much longer. Heading towards her bed quickly, as she heard her mother's footsteps approaching her room. She crawled underneath the covers, pulling them over her head.

"Astrid." Her mother's voice was soft. Astrid did not respond, as she shut her eyes, pretending to be asleep. She hears her mother approaching her bed, stroking her hair before planting a kiss on her forehead.

▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗣𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗲𝗻𝘁

ENTERING the Asgardian palace, memories rushed through Astrid's mind. The events of the day she left Asgard, returned clearly to her. Her anger raging in her blood, remembering the awful deal her father made with King Laufey of the Frost Giants. She jumped off the horse, Loki following behind her. The throne room echoed with every step she took. Loki hastily walked in front of her, a cautious look on his face.

"The treasure vault is this way, quickly." Loki lead the way, the two of them quickening their pace. She has never seen the vault before, even while she was younger. Soon they reached vault, Loki walking quicker than Astrid, leaving her behind.

"Where is it?" Astrid asked.

"I have no idea." Loki said. He noticed the overly concerned look on Astrid's face. He followed the path of her gaze, her eyes staring at the Casket of Ancient Winters.

"My father was killed for betraying Asgard." she said. Looking at Loki, the two walked together, looking for the crown of Surtur.

"I know." Loki said.

"He knew about your true identity. Being a Frost Giant. This gave him an advantage to let Laufey invade Asgard in exchange for you. Odin discovered the truth and therefore sentenced him to his death." Loki looked earnestly at her.

"I'm sorry. Because of me you lost your father..."

"No. Do not blame yourself for my father's corrupted mind. You are innocent." Astrid said. Loki stopped, noticing the crown on the stone pedestal.

"Grab the crown and meet me at the Eternal Flame." Loki ordered Astrid. She nodded in agreement, rushing forward to the crown. Grabbing it from the pedestal, she quickly noticed Loki pocketing something in his robes. Scrunching her nose, confused, she followed Loki towards the Eternal Flame. The heat radiated immensely, sweat forming on Astrid's palms.

"Ready?" Astrid looked at Loki. He simply nodded, as she casted the crown into the fire. The room rumbled, soon shaking, as stone debris started to fall. The two of them started to run out of the vault, into the throne room. The walls of the palace began to shake, before a debris of stone from the palace wall impacted against Astrid head, as she fell to the ground. Blood pooled around her head, as she went unconscious.

"ASTRID!" Loki shouted out. He rushed towards her, scooping her into his arms. He ran with her in his arms, reaching the horse. He rested her on the horse, jumping up on its back. He held her close to his chest, yanking the reins, as they rushed out of the palace yard. The ground crumbled beneath them, as Loki  charged through the obstacles.

"Hang in there Astrid." he whispered. He soon reaches the bridge, bringing the horse to a halt. A loud eruption boomed, as the large form of Surtur emerged from the palace, destroying the entire area. Thor notices Astrid, rushing towards them. Loki helps her off the horse, handing her limp body to Thor.

"She's unconscious." Loki told him.

"Head to the ship." Thor instructed Loki. Carrying Astrid in his arms, he gazed at Surtur, as he notices Hela trying to stop Ragnarok from occurring. Turning around, he started heading towards the ship, Valkyrie next to him.

"It worked." Valkyrie said.

"Yes." A large figure jumped over them heading towards Surtur. Thor realised it was Hulk.

"HULK!" he shouted out. "Please deal with him. I'll get Astrid onto the ship." he asked Valkyrie.

"Sure thing." Valkyrie nodded.