11. The Cessation

Cessation-
a temporary or final ending.

William

I'm not feeling too good.

A few minutes ago, my stomach started to burn, and my whole body is breaking out in chills. It's not from a cold, because creatures such as me don't become ill with human sicknesses. The only thing that's coming to mind is... No. It couldn't possibly be.

I jerk my phone out of my pocket and shoot the others a quick text to go to my house. I start running back to the house where Rune should be.

--

When the house is finally in sight, I see the front door wide open. My stomach starts to churn at the sight that I know will greet me when I go inside. I run up the steps in one long stride.

No.

No, no, no.

Rune lays on the floor, a puddle of blood seeping out from her stomach. The ifrit Sebastian told me they couldn't find is hovering over her, a still smoking gun in his hand. My wings involuntarily shoot out of my back, leaving my shirt in tatters as it floats to the ground. At the snap they make, the ifrit turns, his face filled with lust and violence. I know it will be easy to end him; he's in no state to fight back right now. Whenever ifrit's are surrounded by violence, their brains become fogged up from it, not allowing them to make good judgement calls.

Just as I'm about to pounce, Sebastian stalks forward, not even bothering to glance at me. His fangs sharpen, and he takes the ifrit by the arm. Seb jerks his head to the side and plunges his fangs into his throat. He doesn't feed; he just tears the ifrit's throat out. It's a gruesome sight, and I'm glad when he finally drops the savaged fucker to the ground.

I look to Rune. She doesn't even look hurt. If it wasn't for the blood, she would appear like a sleeping beauty – the kind fairytales are written about.

Callum and Kade push past me, dropping on the ground beside my Angel. Pierce grips me by the shoulder and shakes me hard. All at once, everything comes crashing down around me, and I utter the only word I can think right now, "Rune."

--

Callum

I cradle her head in my lap as I will her eyes to open and stare at me. I want those beautiful, baby blue eyes that seem to know everything about me to open. I look up at Kade, who's sitting on the other side of her, stroking her cold, bloodless cheek. I feel Sebastian nudge me out of the way, and he places his fingers under her blood streaked chin, checking her pulse. The rest of us have been too terrified, too scared to do this.

I don't look at his face; I don't want to know. I hear his harsh exhale, and his shoulder that's touching mine starts to shake with sobs that wrack his body. I look up when I hear a sound so heartbreaking, I wish I could erase it from my mind. William has fallen on his knees near Rune's feet. Tears fall freely down his face, and he paints the picture of a Fallen Angel in that moment. Shirtless, with his wings slumping to the ground behind him; his hair is falling onto his hanging head, shielding his face from view.

--

Pierce

I sit behind Kade, resting my chin on his shoulder. We all stay there, crowding around her beautiful, broken body for what feels like an eternity and an instant, all at once.

The socks I helped her put on just this morning are still on her legs, but now, they're soaked with her blood. Her sweatshirt doesn't even look pink anymore, because of the blood that has finally stopped leaking from the hole in her stomach. Her skin is leeched of any color, white as a sheet.

I yearn to see her precious face shine with light and laughter.

--

Kade

My sweet Siren.

I feel the sobs that are making my whole entire body tremble, but I'm too wrapped up in my grief to care.

I wonder if she suffered. I wonder if that fucked up monster did anything to her before she... I can't say the word, I can't even think the word.

I know where she is. The Angel silently sitting at her feet is proof that there's a Heaven; proof that she's in the Heavens. I know she's watching us right now, a sad smile gracing her sweet face. I force myself to think of this, instead of thinking that she's... gone.

I will never see my beautiful girl again.

--

Sebastian

Rune.

I thought she was mine – ours. Now that she's... in the Heavens, I realize in the short time I've known her, I've come to care for her; love her, even. I know by human standards, it's much to soon to say you love someone after the short time I was blessed to know her, but for a being who's lived as long as I have and waited for ten years, it's not.

I wanted the chance to get to know her more. I wanted to learn her hobbies, and know what makes her smile. I wanted the chance to see her as she learned of pleasure for the first time. I wanted to learn the sounds she makes when I press my lips to hers. I wanted to see her – every inch of her. I wanted to see her face light up with that beautiful smile, and her eyes get that glint of joy in them.

I wanted her.

--

William

I can't think. I can't breathe. I can't move.

I feel frozen, like if someone touches me, I'll shatter.

My beautiful Angel.

She's gone. She's really gone.

The reason I'm still existing is no longer on this earth; she's in the Heavens, watching me right this moment.

I sit, and I don't move.

My whole body becomes completely numb – like my heart.

A faint knocking noise sounds somewhere, but I'm too far gone to care. I don't pay attention to it. I don't pay attention to anything.

~~~
Song- DNA/ Lia Marie Johnson

--

Please don't kill me for this haha.
I actually never planned for this to happen, it just kinda did.
Don't worry! There's some really good stuff coming up in the next chapter ;)

love,
nichole