" Carlton, you're staring again and you aren't enjoying your lunch like you should be." He said with a half-smile.

That instantly brought Lassiter out of his staring.

" Oh, sorry." Said Lassiter quickly before he picked up the knife and fork by his hand and set to work eating.

The two of them ate in comfortable silence that immediately reminded them of the times in the past where they had enjoyed good food and the simple pleasure of each others company. They soon started up a quiet conversation in which Carlton regaled Shawn with the happenings of the SBPD. He made a key note to not mention any specific details about current cases, he figured that was still a raw subject. All too soon they had finished their pizza slices and Carlton's watch informed him that his lunch break was nearly up. Carlton flagged down the red haired waitress and asked for the bill. At the last minute Shawn asked for some garlic knots to go and gave Lassiter an apologetic look that the older man silently found to be absolutely adorable. Lassiter reassured Shawn that he had the order covered and it was eight dollars be gladly forked over.

After the meal was paid for and the bag of garlic knots was secure in Shawn's hands, Lassiter rose from his seat first and gently gripped Shawn by his arm as the heavily pregnant man got up from his own seat. Bidding the staff of the restaurant a find farewell the two men quickly walked out. They made their way back to Lassiter's car. Lassiter opened the door and helped Shawn get into the front passenger seat. After making sure that Shawn was safely inside the vehicle, Lassiter shut the door and made his way around the front of the crown vic to the driver's side. Within minutes the maroon car was pulling away from the side walk and heading back towards the quite suburban area where the Spencer residence was located in.

The drive was made in a comfortable silence that Carlton couldn't help but find slightly surreal because silent and thoughtful were not words that he thought he would ever associate with Shawn Spencer, ever.

After a drive that was all together to short for Carlton's liking they were pulling up in front of Shawn's childhood home. Carlton barely managed to conceal his great reluctance as he helped Shawn out of the car and returned the younger man to his proverbial sanctuary. On the port they were greeted by a practically bouncing Titan and a quiet Henry Spencer. While Shawn and the big white dog were both warm and fond in their farewells to Carlton, Henry simply looked at him with this unreadable expression on his face and gave him a silent nod before all but herding Shawn inside. After that, Carlton went back to the station and resumed being hard as nails Head Detective Lassiter.

In the back of his mind though, it was Shawn who dominated his thoughts, Shawn and the precious passenger he carried within him.

A few days later on a quiet evening...

Carlton looked away from the civil war documentary he had been watching with rapt attention when the phone suddenly rang. Carlton quickly grabbed up the phone and answered it.

" Carlton Lassiter speaking." He said.

" Hey Carlton, it's me." Came the quiet voice of Shawn Spencer a few seconds later.

" Shawn, hi." Said Carlton, now instantly alert and wondering if something was up.

" Listen I know that it's kinda late, but I was just wondering... I mean you don't have to come or anything. It's just that... I'd really like for you to come and be there... With me..." Shawn trailed off after this long bit of babbling and sighed softly.

Naturally feeling slightly confused, Lassiter spoke up.

" Shawn, are you alright? I mean you didn't make much sense just now. So where is it you want me to be?" He asked gently, genuinely curious about what it was that Shawn wanted for him to do.

" I'm okay Carlton, just a little nervous is all. The reason that I called you is because I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of days and I was just wondering if you could come with me." Said Shawn softly.

" Just tell me where and when, I'll be there Shawn." Said Carlton without hesitation.

" Are you sure you can make it though?" Asked Shawn.

" I can take a personal day so don't you worry none." Reassured Carlton, feeling warm elation at the simple thought of being with Shawn for whatever curious about the doctor's appointment, the dark haired man spoke.

" What's the appointment for?" He asked.

" Oh, they're gonna give me a full check up first and then they are gonna do a sonogram." Said Shawn.

There was a beat of silence before Carlton finally got his voice to work properly despite the shell-shock that had settled over him.

" S-So you want me there to..." He trailed off as emotion clogged his throat. Thankfully, Shawn spoke up.

" Yes, I want you to be there so we can see our baby for the first time, together." He said and from what Carlton could hear, the younger man was choking up a little himself.

Now Lassiter knew he would definitely be asking the Chief for the day off.