n i n e t e e n

okay so i got a laptop for christmas and I'm attempting to write on it so if there is any typos it is because i type too fast with an actual keyboard. also, idk how to use bold and italics with this so if anyone does, please help me welp

also, does the lowercase names bother anyone? i personally find it aesthetically pleasing, but if a lot of people don't like it, i will uppercase the names. but i won't uppercase 'i' or the beginning of sentences.

--

third person pov

everyone ended up going their separate ways, except instead of y/n going home she followed dustin.

dustin was really excited to not be alone anymore.

i mean of course he had his new cat, but ever since the dart incident, dustin was scared to ask for any new pet. even if the pet was a goldfish.

when dustin and y/n eventually got to dustin's house, dustin immediately went to go find his mom to explain to his mom the situation, with y/n following closely behind.

"hey mom!" dustin yelled out.

"yes, dusty?" his mom responded with.

dustin flinched at the old nickname, obviously embarrassed by it.

"i have a friend over! can they spend the night for a little while?" he asked while walking into the living room.

"sure! who is it? mike? lucas?"

"nope! my new friend y/n! she's new here, but she goes to our school so her waking up early wouldn't matter!" dustin explained.

"y/n? she? wait, is she your girlfriend, dusty?!" the lady said, raising her voice, sounding concerned.

"what?! no, mom! gross!" dustin retorted.

"girlfriend?" y/n questioned, finally speaking up, and ignoring how dustin called her gross. well, at least she thought he did.

"yeah. like, what max is to lucas. or how jane was to mike." dustin whispered to the frail girl.

y/n nodded, still somewhat confused.

"what will she wear? did sh bring any clothes? does she want to call her parents? why is she spending the night if she isn't your girlfriend?" dustin's mom asked, coming out of her room and into the living room.

y/n looked over at dustin and noticed him rolling his eyes.

"we will go to her house tomorrow morning before school for her to get some clothes on for school. then, on the way home she will pick up some more clothes so she can continue to spend the night whenever she wants to. which I'm assuming is okay with you since we rarely have company, and i don't have any siblings. and we can just be friends, mom. not every girl i hang out with i have to be dating." dustin said, while sitting down on the recliner.

his mom nodded. "does you want to call your parents?"

y/n quickly corrected her and said, "foster."

"what?" dustin's mom asked.

"they aren't her real family. they're her foster family. also, keep in mind mom, y/n doesn't like talking too much with people she doesn't know. she is very shy, i guess you could say." dustin explained, while looking at y/n. "do you want to call your parents though? uh, i mean foster parents."

y/n shrugged her shoulders while looking curiously at the little kitten walking around her ankles.

she stiffened at the touch of the cat, but proceeded to say, "i don't know their numbers."

"oh, that's okay, i can look it up in the phone book! what's their last name?" dustin's mom questioned.

(A/N sorry i keep saying "dustin's mom", i don't know her name and idk what else to say other than "the lady" or something. also, i don't know if i gave jim and martha a last name in the beginning but if i did, I'm changing it to Jones since that is a pretty basic last name. sorry if your last name is jones. not that there is anything wrong with that last name! its a totally fine last name! I'm going to stop typing/talking now. sorry.)

"jones." y/n stated blankly, yet quietly.

"okay, thank ya darlin'. i'll talk to them, you and dusty go get ready for bed since it is really late and past your curfew." dustin's mom said, while glaring at dustin.

dustin nodded quickly and dragged y/n into his room and closing the door behind him.

"sorry about that, she can be pretty embarrassing." dustin said.

y/n just nodded while looking around. "nice."

"i mean, i guess. it is a little messy though. do you want to sleep on my bed and i'll take the floor?" dustin politely asked.

y/n shrugged. "im okay with sleeping on floor. i did it all the time."

dustin nodded somewhat sadly. "well, if thats the case, you are sleeping in my bed. ill go get some pillows and blankets for myself. you can get comfortable."

"okay. thank you, dusty." y/n said, smiling a little at the fact she just used an embarrassing nickname on him.

dustin just laughed softly and rolled his eyes. "its no problem. now, get ready. we need to get to sleep so we can get up early to go to your house to get clothes for you."

y/n nodded and proceeded to take off her shoes, socks, and mike's sweatshirt she randomly realized she had on. 'he must have put it on me when i was having an episode.' y/n thought, while smiling to herself. 'how did i find such good friends in such little time?'

y/n continued to think about these things while falling into a peaceful and somehow dreamless sleep.

--

filler chapter!

words: 885