Next Ten Minutes

Maggie's POV

I sat down next to Papa and we talked for a while, about random things but it was nice. He took out a few things from the picnic basket, which had a few things in it and gave me a wrapped present.

"Papa, you didn't ha..."

"I had to. With the way I have treated you over the years, I had to give you something to help me redeem a little bit of love from you. I'm so sorry that I never accepted you. Even though I still don't agree with it, I can now accept that my daughter is different and I'll love you no matter what. Always and forever. Open the gift now!" He pointed at the poorly wrapped object in my hand. I opened it and found a scrapbook, similar to the ones Mama used to make.

"What's this? Is it one of hers?"

"Both. I made it with pictures of you and Alex. Pictures of us and some of you when you were really little. I paid the photographer a fair bit of money to get him to print out a few of your wedding photos so I could finish it off while sitting here. It's badly wrapped because I did it just before you arrived."

"Oh, Papa!" I cried with joy and gratitude and embraced my father with a tight hug that didn't last nearly as long as I wanted it to. He grabbed out another gift and turned to my wife across the garden.

"Alexandra, come sit with us. I have a gift for you too." She stood with a puzzled look and sat on the grass next to me. She thanked him and opened the box. It was a sculpture of two agent-looking females fighting side by side. "I saw it and thought of the two of you."

"Thank you so much." Alex looked at her watch and sighed, "Sorry, Maggie but... he has to go now." I nodded and hugged Papa again. He turned back to my wife and handed her a small box.

"Please give this to your sister. It's small but it's a thank you gift for her bringing me here. I carved it myself." We all stood and Alex called for Kara. She ran out with a worried look on her face.

"What is it? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," Alex said. "It's time."

"Okay, sorry, Maggie," Kara said as she grabbed the picnic basket and my father, flying them away. I took a deep breath and hugged Alex again, pushing my face into her neck and mumbling 'thank you' over and over again.

Alex's POV

When Kara got back an hour later, almost everyone had left and it was basically just all the close family. It was just Maggie and me, Mum, J'onn, Lena and Kara, Winn and Lyra, and James. We sat around a table in Lena's apartment with too much wine and not enough music.

"I'm going to put some music on," I said, about to get up.

"Wait, I'll do it!" Winn jumped up and grabbed Kara's arm. She looked at us funny as Winn grabbed out his phone and started playing music. He handed Kara a microphone and she walked over to the phone to see what song it was.

"We have watched this movie a hundred times, you'll know the words, Kara." He looked at me with a cheeky grin and then at Maggie with the same mischievous look in his eyes. The music started and I recognised the song immediately. I had contemplated singing this song for Maggie as my way of proposing but I never ended up deciding whether to use it as she proposed first.

Winn started, sounding alarmingly similar to the original actor. "Will you share your life with me, for the next ten minutes. For the next ten minutes, we can handle that. We could watch the waves. We could watch the sky. Or just sit and wait as the time ticks by. And if we make it till then, could I ask you again. For another ten..."

Kara sang the next part, "And if you, in turn, agree, to the next ten minutes. And the next ten minutes, till the morning comes..." As she continued singing, I jumped up and grabbed Maggie's hand.

"We haven't had our first dance yet." I clarified

"I guess we haven't." She wrapped her arms around me and we swayed for a while.

"There are so many lives I want to share with you!" I sang with Winn and Kara as I danced with Maggie. "I will never be complete until 'I do'." I kissed my wife as the instrumental played. Lena ran on stage and started singing with Kara for the start of the next part. Everyone suddenly went silent when Maggie softly sang a part of the song by herself.

"I don't know why people run. I don't know why things fall through. I don't know how anybody survives in this life without someone like you!" She was staring deep into my eyes while singing and for the second time today, everything in the world apart from the two of us went away. "I could protect and preserve, I could say no and goodbye! But why, Alex, Why?" I kissed her before she could finish and this kiss lasted through the next instrumental of the song until the singers in the actual song started singing together again and Maggie and I sang our parts. Me as Jamie and Maggie as Cathy.

After the song ended, everyone was just standing there watching us. I felt awkward and uncomfortable but soon the feeling went away and Kara put on more backing tracks to songs and sang them while we all danced all night. Maggie and I got changed into some clothes that Kara quickly went and got from our apartment and we all slept over at Lena's. None of us were aware of the threat about to destroy everything.