Angel

The other goons and men whimpered as some came into consciousness. Others stared off in space looking terrified at the thought of prison. Others didn't have any expression at all, probably because they had been there in and out several times before. They muttered to each other and cursed. Crane ignored them and wondered when the authorities were coming. No doubt Batman had already contacted them and they were headed up here.

A few moments of staring at the cement and sky later he decided to mess with some of the other guys there. It would be a while before the cop cars could take them away what with all the winding ramps. The amount of goons that had to be taken into custody was also a factor as well as how many cop cars were available. He rolled his head to the side and flashed a smile without showing his teeth to the boy next to him.

He looked terrified and quickly looked away.

He wondered if he should say anything but decided against it. The silent approach was best sometimes. He sighed for what felt like the millionth time, but this time aloud, alerting the group of his presence and immediately sending up waves of tenseness. The few lucky enough to be at peace felt fear shoot up their spine and went quiet and still. Jonathon smiled to himself glad of the reaction he had received.

He looked at them all and the minute his gaze fell over theirs they looked away panicked. He chuckled to himself and looked back up at the sky wondering when he would be in the sun again. Probably not for a while. He looked back at the boy next to him who was staring at the ground looking utterly depressed.

Before Crane could say or do anything to startle the poor boys a voice went through the lot causing all of the men there to freeze and perk up their heads to listen. A young and sweet voice sang through the deserted lot and to the men all huddled and tied up. Jonathon sat up slightly curious about who would be singing in a place like this. The voice wasn't overly exceptional but young and sweet to hear. The boy who had been staring at the cement looked up in surprise. The other men looked around curiously.

"My angel...how'd you get to be so fly? How'd you get to shine so bright? How'd you get to look like that? Heaven don't you call him back...yeah."

Crane looked around curiously and noticed the man who had been high on his gas that the Russian crime boss had brought with him. He was sweating but he had stopped screaming at least. He was panting but now only used laboured breathes. He calmed down at the sound of the melody and his shoulders relaxed. One of the goons spoke up.

"Who's that?"

One of the other men shushed him and they went silent again.

"Doo do doo do doo...doo do doo do doo...halo, halo...I'm not saying hi...baby there's a ring above your head. And it shines so bright in the sunlight...in the sunlight."

The voice slowly grew louder as the girl drew nearer. She sounded young but Jonathon knew that he shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. One of the men craned his head to try to listen better.

"Heyo...eyo...this is like a dream. Every bit you, it makes me weak. How did I get here? In the sunlight...in the sun..."

Yes she was definitely in her teens. He thought. But why was she here? And where was she? She would probably panic the second she laid eyes on them. He kind of hoped she wouldn't find them, it was relaxing listening to her sing, it was better then silence and grown men crying. After a moment of silence that seemed to be a music instrumental she rounded the corner. She wasn't  looking in their direction so she didn't stop. Her dark brown hair hung down in a natural way and no makeup seemed to be on her face. She had a small and happy smile on her face as she walked by slowly, her head and hips swaying slowly to the beat in her head.