↳ what now

( WHAT? NOW? ) 
by ju-gg  

The music was blaring from her bedroom window, it was 11pm and that meant it was the perfect time for her to be dancing around in her underwear, singing at the top of her lungs. Thankfully for the one neighbour who cared, she had a fairly decent voice and the ability to carry a tune, even when she was twirling and holding up different dresses to her figure in front of her full length mirror. A wolf whistle yanked her away from her thoughts revolving around tomorrows outfit and she glanced over at her window, rolling her eyes even though a smile crept onto her face. "That's not very polite, y'know?" She said teasingly, turning down her speaker before wandering over to the window.

"So is playing obnoxiously loud Bruno Mars an hour from midnight." Reggie countered, smirking slightly as he leant against his own window sill.

"I guess we'll both have to suffer the impoliteness then." Y/N shrugged and settled down in the chair beside her window, finding an old t-shirt to throw on in the process. She chose to forgo pants entirely as she often did, though that didn't disturb Reggie at all, he was used to it. They had lived in the houses next to each other for years, their windows directly facing each other, a feature of a million other houses in this town.

"When did you get back?" Reggie asked, staring across at his neighbour and best friend, as she casually picked at the loose thread on a pillow.

"Yesterday, I'm already in trouble with the parents though so if anyone asks this conversation didn't happen." She mumbled, rolling her eyes.

"How did you manage to piss them off in less than 24 hours!?" He laughed back, she had the ability to constantly amaze him with everything she did, and one might think that after 16 years there would be nothing left to shock him with, but that couldn't be more profoundly incorrect. He was always entirely himself around her, and that was incredibly important to him.

"I don't know! I fell asleep in the car and they wanted to talk to me about school so now I'm the bad guy!" She whined, grabbing the baseball from her desk and tossing it to him, he caught it effortlessly, they did that a lot.

"Your parents are insane." He muttered and she nodded slowly, fumbling slightly with the ball when he threw it back too hard.

"Like yours are any better." She chuckled and he shrugged slightly in defeat, it was true, Riverdale had a terrible curse of bad parenting, Reggie and Y/N were no exception to that rule. They fell silent again and continued throwing the ball in comfortable quiet, it had been the same ball for three years now, they'd never dropped it in the gap between their houses and they trusted that they never would. It continued for hours, neither of them would say it out loud but they were never more comfortable than they were when they found themselves together. Eventually the silence was broken by one of them, as though they needed to double check they were able to speak.

"So, got a boarding school boyfriend?" He asked, she simply scoffed and shook her head.

"Please, it's an all-girls school, and even if it wasn't, nobody would want to date me." She sighed, going to catch the ball only for it not to be thrown, she looked across at Reggie, and he was staring back with a very unimpressed look on his face and a raised eyebrow. "What?! It's true!"

"It's not and you know it." He said, rolling his eyes, entirely frustrated with how she insisted on talking about herself.

"You haven't seen some of the girls I go to school with, they all have perfect bodies, and they're tall, and they're sweet and dainty." She mumbled, "On the other hand, I've got more muscle on me than you have probably, and I'm short, and weird looking. For God sake, I walked around school with dirt smudges all over my face for a whole day and didn't think to clean it off."