Part 1

The Sun was slowly setting, painting the sky in a vibrant array of reds, oranges, yellows, blues and purples as day began giving way to night.

The ocean deep blue and calm, lapped lazily at the base of one of the many rock cliffs that jutted out towards the water.

At the very top of this cliff, flat and draped over with the soft green of grass, a lone figure sat atop a smooth gray colored boulder that rested near the middle of the flat top.

A man.

Dressed in a white button-up shirt a few sizes too large for him and faded baggy blue jeans, sat staring out at the calm, unending blue and the richly painted sky.

A warm, salty breeze softly blew over the cliff top, gently rustling through the green grass and spiky, light brown hair.

The beauty of this place and the tranquility it portrayed would've made anyone smile and feel content in the serenity.

However, that was not the case for this lone young man sitting on the boulder.

The beauty of this place did not resonate through him. The colors of the evening sky held no brilliance to him, they were all blurred into one sodden, murky hue, ugly and opaque.

Nothing more.

As he sat there, Shawn Spencer looked out towards the horizon where earth met sky with green eyes dulled, seemingly extinguished of their fiery spark.

The calm blue waters did not bring him a sense of peace like they would have someone else.

No, the deep, dark blue hue of the water served only to cause a dull ache to develop in his chest and steadily intensify with each passing beat of his heart and remind him of a pair of eyes tinted in this same shade of blue.

The eyes of the man he loved, this dark shade of blue the pigment of fury and disgust.

The eyes of the man Shawn believed had loved him back.

Shawn swallowed thickly against the large lump that had lodged in his throat and blinked his eyes furiously as they burned.

If anyone asked, he say it was the saltiness of the sea air, not the bitter despair he was feeling inside himself.

In near stifling desolation, Shawn sat staring unseeing at the ocean, his mind drifting off unbidden to the day when he'd seen the blue eyes in all their angry darkness along with several others glaring back at him, the day that had by far been the worst day of his life.

" Mr. Spencer, your actions today were inexcusable, 25,000 dollars in damages to police property. Two brand new squad cars now nothing more than scrap metal. What the hell were you thinking?!" Yelled Chief Karen Vick, eyes blazing with unbridled rage as she glared at the man standing before her desk.

Shawn Spencer stood before the chief, feeling the glares of the three other people in the room all burning holes into the back of his head.

Gus.

Juliet.

Lassie.