chapter 7

I come home from school, throw my backpack down, and go up to my room. I had just gotten two A's on my science and math tests, and I hadn't gotten made fun of at all. Everyone was nice to me, I laughed and smiled, and for once, the sun was out in Gotham and it wasn't brutally cold. I hear a knock on my door, and Kristen suddenly enters my room. " Eddie! Congrats on your tests!" She runs to me,wrapping her arms around me and pulling me into a kiss. "Thank you my love." She blushes, and we continue kissing on the bed. My mom was making dinner downstairs, and my dad even muttered a "Good job" to me about my tests, which is something he's never done before. I was so happy in that moment.

The clouds quickly roll over, and rain starts pouring down. Everything is now dark. Kristen suddenly gets off the bed and runs downstairs. She says nothing, as I call her name over and over again. I run to follow her downstairs, still calling her name. My mom is nowhere to be found. "Mom? Kristen??" I call, but no answer. My dad's mood has completely shifted, and he's now drinking a beer per usual sitting on the couch. He does nothing to help me, and it's almost like he can't even hear me. "KRISTEN!" I keep calling. Suddenly, I turn around and there she is, standing side by side next to my father in the kitchen. "Dad... Kris-" I realize that for some reason, my words aren't coming out. Only exasperated sighs or air, but no sound. My dad suddenly starts yelling at Kristen, for absolutely no reason. She cowers in fear. I can't stop him, I can't move or speak. He grabs her arm and throws her to the ground. He kicks her repeatedly as she rolls over on the ground. I stand there, not able to do anything, and "Edward..." Is all I hear from Kristen before I wake up.

"Edward....Eddie Bear,wake up...." I hear my mom say,shaking me lightly. I jolt awake, yelling and flailing my arms in the air. I'm completely drenched in sweat and my heart is racing from the nightmare I had just had."Edward,you okay?" my mom asks, sitting on the end of my bed. I take deep breaths and rub my eyes, and try to get a grip on myself "I'm fine... Just had a bad dream" I say to her " no you're not,what happens in your dream?" she asks brushing wet hair out of my eyes with her hand "It... It was about Kristen. Dad- he beat her." I said, tears running down my face" keep going." she encourages. "Everything was so perfect and then dad just started hitting her mom" I said crying harder " Edward,Kristen wasn't here....she's okay"She says. "I know... It was just a dream." I keep reassuring myself as she rubs my back. She had convinced me to come down for breakfast not long after. After showering and changing into clean clothes, I eat breakfast as quickly as I can, completely avoiding my dad, and my mom drives me to school.

 Fast forward one week later, my mom is still home (Thank God) and I finish my day at school. I say bye to Lee, and have plans to meet up with Kristen after school. She doesn't go to my high school, so I usually get out a bit later than she does. I walk home and as I round the block, to my surprise, Kristen is already on my porch waiting for my mom to open the door, to see if i'm home yet. I smile and start jogging to the house to surprise her, but I slow down as I see both of my parents answer the door. Kristen and my mom talk for a minute, she obviously tells her that I'm not home yet. My mom goes inside for a minute, and Kristen is left alone with my dad. Ever since that nightmare, I can't bare to see the two of them together. My dad starts talking to her, leaning against the wall of the porch whilst drinking a beer. My fists suddenly clench, and I start running as fast as I can toward my dad. "Edward's so sweet, you and Mrs. Nygma have raised him well." I hear Kristen saying to my dad. I run up to the house. "Eddie..." Kristen says, but I'm too invested to say anything to her. "Leave her ALONE!" I say as I charge at my dad, shoving him into the wall.

Kristen's hand covers her mouth and she steps back" Edward, what the hell is your problem?!" My dad snaps, pushing me off him and slapping me across the face,hard. I stagger backward and then throw a punch across his left jaw as hard as I can. He goes down, not much because he's much bigger than me, but enough for me to grab Kristen and pull her behind me. I point at him with a shaky finger as he wipes the blood from his nose "I will NOT let you hurt her like you hurt me. Stay AWAY from her." I could tell he was trying to refrain from yelling but he couldn't keep that act up "EDWARD JONATHAN NYGMA I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS, GET OUT OF MY HOUSE AND TAKE YOUR DAMN DOG WITH YOU!" he yells, pointing to the field where the park is as he spoke. My dog Coco, had already run out. She started barking and snarling at my father in my defense. I pull her back, petting her on the head, giving one last look at my father. My mom comes running out but by that time, Kristen, Coco and I are all heading away from the house and to the park. "MOM I'LL CALL YOU!" I yell to her as we run away.