chapter 5

I was at the restaurant, my mom had dropped me off with Lee, Kristen was going to be here any minute. I waited inside, checking my watch every 10 seconds. After what seemed like an eternity, Kristen Kringle walked through the door. She was wearing a medium green shaded pencil skirt ,matching button up cardigan and a white and blue pattern blouse, her hair pulled up into a nice vintage ponytail with a fancy swirl at the front with black glasses that practically matched mine and black heels " woah....you look stunning..." I say not even realizing I said it out loud she blushes " thank you Edward, you look really nice yourself" she says, smiling. "Thank you Kristen'" I say and we walk to our table. I pull her chair out for her and we browse the menu, She ordered a Root Beer, I ordered a plain water per usual. I'm extremely nervous... I didn't know how to start conversing with her. I was so distracted by her beauty I didn't realize I was staring, that was until she looked at me, adjusting her glasses " Edward? What's wrong."she asks, worriedly "Hm? Oh nothing at all, I just... You're very pretty" I manage to get out. She looks down,smiling " oh...um thank you." I smile and look at the menu, she does the same. Wow, that was weak man. Be quiet. I reply back in my head. I decide on the spaghetti. Our waiter comes back when we're ready to order. "Can I have the spaghetti please?" I ask shyly. The waiter nods, I look to Kristen she asks just as shyly as I had,she was obviously uncomfortable in these situations "Can I have Fries with Gravy on top, Please?" she wasn't quiet about it which is a good thing but she sure sounds shy. I smile and we had the waiter out menus.

I try desperately to think of something to say "So Kristen.. How old are you? I'm 16." Whew! Pretty pathetic. Step your game up. I shake my head at this, trying my best to ignore my own mind " I'm 15....turning 16 in March, when's your birthday?" She asks, looking at me. "June, June 29th." I tell her " Mine's March 18th" she says, smiling at me seeming at ease. "Cool. So how do you know Lee?" I ask her, she inhales quickly before saying " We met at a birthday party a year ago." "Oh I see.. Lee and I have known each other a very long time. Our moms are good friends." She nods.

" Can I tell you something? Lee said I should I just don't know how you'll take it...." she asks shyly. I wipe my palms on my pants "Yes, what is it?" I ask , she looks down at her hands "I have...this mental disorder that causes me to hear voices......and see things, I understand if you get up and leave....that's completely fine....everyone does....." She sound sad and nervous. My eyes widen as I look into hers intensely, shocked that she's exactly like me. "Kristen you probably won't believe me but I have the exact same thing. I have these strong voices in my head... They try to keep me in line because i'm such a clutz. It's like they're constantly trying to control me. That's why i'm always so.. Anxious." I get out breathlessly. She takes my hand over the table, smiling " I...I can understand that... mine do the exact same thing." She smiles at me sweetly " And I do believe you." "Wow I just - I can't believe how similar we are." I say looking deep into her ocean-like, glistening eyes. Our long period of eye contact is disrupted by the waiter bringing our food. "Thank you" I say, and we eat. We finish eating, I pay, and we walk out to the parking lot to find our parents. "Tonight was really nice Kristen, I'm so glad I worked up the nerve to follow through" I say nervously. She giggles "I had a very nice time too, Eddie." she leans up and kisses me on the cheek. I blush bright red and my heart speeds up beyond belief. And with that, she walks over to her car. I put my hand in the spot where she had kissed me and watch her walk to her car, feeling something I've never felt before.