Chapter 4 -Toph

I arrived back at the house that Hina and I shared, excited to tell him about my trip; most of the time he came with me—because I dragged him along—but he couldn't make it this time due to work. Even though I made these trips once every week, this one was different. I guess you could say it was more successful, and maybe it was because he wasn't there.
Yet, as I walked inside, I realized I was in for a bad night. The atmosphere in the room was tense, and I could feel that Hina had packed all of his belongings into a few bags, and was waiting for me in our bedroom. I sighed, and walked in. "What the hell is this about?" I asked.
He shifted in his seat as he looked at me, unsure of how to approach the topic.
"Toph... listen, I can't do this anymore" he answered.
"Do what anymore?"
"This relationship," he frowned "I love you, I do, but I know that your attention is elsewhere. You and I were never really meant to be together, it was just a happy accident, and I'm sorry I've kept you here this long."
"Elsewhere? What are you talking about?" I asked
"That guy from the wedding. Him. I know you like him, I'm not an idiot. It's not hard to see, Toph. You may be blind, but I'm not, and it's all in the way you talked to him. You've never had that kind of connection with me, and I'm sorry I couldn't give it to you either," he answered.
I didn't know how to respond. Did I still like Sokka after all these years? I thought I had gotten over that years ago, but maybe I had been lying to myself. Maybe he was right, and I was too blind to have noticed. I stood in silence pondering this for a minute, and that was all he needed.
"Listen, I know that you and I have responsibilities together, and I'll be there for them, but I think we should break up," he sighed, "I think it's time we stop lying to ourselves and face the fact that we've never been in love. We've never been a couple, Toph."
He was right. Maybe I did still have a crush on Sokka, and it was unfair to continue our relationship like this. I didn't really like him that much anyway, much less love him, and if it weren't for one drunken night years ago I would have broken up with him a long time ago.
"Alright..." I sighed, not knowing what else to say.
He looked me up and down as if to get one last good look, and then hugged me. I frowned and begrudgingly hugged him back, because in a way it felt wrong to. It felt wrong to hold him like this when I had been lying to him this entire time.
"I'll see you whenever, alright? Just have Aang or Katara write a letter if you need me" he frowned, and grabbed his bags.
I nodded before facing my head down as he walked out, knowing that if I was to say anything it would just make things harder. I didn't love him as anything more than a friend and I knew that, and I felt bad for leading him on the way I did.
At least it was over now.
I wasn't tied down anymore, I could do whatever the hell I wanted.
Immediately, I got up and grabbed my things. I knew exactly where I wanted to go to celebrate in a way, and I wouldn't even feel bad.
I ran outside after I was sure Hina was gone and made my way to Sokka's house, feeling to see if Suki was there and then knocking.
He was at the door in a matter of seconds, and smiled as he opened it.
"Oh, hey. It's late, what are you doing here?" He asked.
I put on my best sad face and closed my eyes, sniffling a little bit.
"Uh... Hina just broke up with me" I frowned
He looked at me and frowned then pulled me in close for a tight hug.
"I'm sorry to hear that... come in" he turned, walking inside.
I couldn't help but smirk while his back was turned to me, quickly putting on my best sad face as he faced me again. I didn't intend on doing anything with Sokka that night—he had a fiancé!—but I did intend on scoping out what I could possibly be in for.
"Did he say why?" He asked
"He just felt like we were growing apart" I lied.
I felt him ponder this for a second then nod.
"Listen, I really just didn't want to be alone tonight. Do you mind if I spend the night?" I asked.
"Not at all" he answered smiling, walking to his room.
Jackpot.
I followed him, letting out a sigh as I sat at the edge of his bed.
"Do you have any extra clothes or anything? I kinda left in a rush..." I frowned.
"Uh.. yeah, you can borrow one of my shirts" he answered, and turned around to find one.
I hope he knew he sure as hell wasn't getting it back.
"Thanks, I really appreciate it" I frowned, and laid onto the bed.
"Don't mention it" he smiled, throwing the shirt to me.
I sat up again and quickly stood up, pulling my shirt off.
"So when's Suki getting back?" I asked.
I felt his eyes on me and his heart beat fasten, and tried my best to hold back a smile.
"U-Um... I'm not sure really. A month or two? It's never very definite" he answered.
I nodded, pulling his shirt on and then moving my pants off slowly.
He looked away quickly and I smirked, then sat on the bed.
"Mm... where do you want me to sleep?" I asked.
"Uh, you can sleep in here. I'll take the couch" he stated.
"Absolutely not," I frowned "This is your room, I'm not taking it from you. You stay here and I'll take the couch."
I knew he was too much of a nice guy to let that happen.
"Why don't we both just sleep in here?" He suggested.
"If you're comfortable with that" I answered.
He nodded, quickly laying at my side as I moved the covers over me.
I smiled and closed my eyes, turning my body to face away from him as I tried to relax.
Not long after, I felt his arms around me, inching their way to places they shouldn't be.
This night may be something out of a dream.