Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

Whether it was an illusion or not, the sounds of the goblins passing by were all too clear. Their guttural voices and the scritch of claws on stone made Tam’s blood surge. His fingers clenched hard over his sword hilt and he held his breath. Finally, the last sounds of marauding goblins faded away. He let the air slip out between his teeth.

“You may summon your light again,” Puck said.

A warmer glow pushed back the darkness this time. Tam looked over at Jennet. She was holding a glass lantern lit by a round ball of light.

She nodded at him. “You could summon one, too.”

“Makes it too hard to fight.” Still, he held the image in his mind. A moment later, a second lantern dangled from his fingers.

Despite the wave of tiredness that washed over him, there was something comforting about their twin lights. This part of the goblin tunnels seemed less menacing. Or maybe it was just having Puck with them, humming a tune as he led them forward.

“Um, Puck,” Tam said, “Where are we going?”

“Here and there.”

Jennet lifted her lantern. “As long as it’s away from the goblins, I don’t really mind where you take us.”

“Don’t say that.” Tam gave her a warning look. “Aren’t we trying to get closer to the court? I don’t want to end up in the middle of a marsh again.”

According to that book she had lent him, you had to be careful what you said around the fey-folk. There had been a whole chapter about bargains gone awry and the faeries’ tricky ways.

“The knight can take you closer in,” Puck said, “but if you need to go out, follow the stairway.”

“Hold up.” Tam stopped walking. “The knight? As in, the Black Knight? That’s a no.”

“But…” Jennet paused, looking from Tam to Puck.

The sprite laughed, the sound like high bells. “Do you fear to face him in single combat again, bold Tamlin?”

“I’d be a fool not to. And I don’t need any more souvenir cuts to take home, thanks.”

“He has already tested your mettle, bold champion. But you will need an escort if you desire to meet his Lady.”

An odd exhilaration swept over Tam. “You mean the Dark Queen?”

“Puck, are you sure?” Now Jennet was the one who sounded uncertain. “I don’t think we’re ready. There are more layers to go through, aren’t there? Like the Dark Forest and the Fey Fields—”

“The land is ever-changing,” Puck said. “The roads you once traveled have shifted, and the places laid by Thomas the Bard are all but gone. The Realm returns to its own.”

Jennet looked worried. “So, you’re taking us to the Black Knight, who will take us to the Queen?”

“Jennet.” Tam set his hand on her shoulder. “This is it, right? Boss fight? Isn’t that the whole point of the game?”

“It can’t be that simple.”

“Why not?”

“Because that’s not how the faeries operate. It’s never straightforward.” She pressed her lips together. “We’re not ready. There are things about that fight - things you need to know.”

Puck was watching them, head cocked to one side. “Ah, Fair Jennet. How is it that you have not told your knight what exactly happened when the queen defeated you? Why have you not described the bounds of that battle, and its consequences?”

“I thought,” she sounded suddenly very unsure. “I thought we’d have more time. I was going to explain everything, as soon as we got out today.”

“What?” Tam stared at her, feeling like the ground had tilted under his feet. “Jennet - didn’t you think that information might come in handy? Sooner, rather than later?”

“I…” She stood with her head bowed.

The lantern light glowed golden in her hair. For an instant, his dreams of the Dark Queen receded. He remembered the odd stillness he had first noticed about Jennet. Her paleness, that waxed and waned like the moon. There was an otherworldly quality about her - but he had gotten used to it. Had practically stopped seeing it. And then his mom was back and, well, he should have paid more attention.

“Jennet,” he said. He couldn’t help the edge in his tone.

“Yes?” Her voice was thin.

Damn, he hoped she wasn’t going to start crying on him. Not that it would change the questions he needed to ask.

“Children,” Puck said, “We have no time for this. The Knight is holding a doorway open. We must not wait, or it will be too late to leave the goblin’s kingdom.”

“All right.” Jennet turned away from him and headed down the tunnel. Puck danced at her heels and sent him a mischievous look.

“But…” He was talking to empty air. Fine. He vanished the lantern and stalked after them.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote for it.  :)

The complete, published version of Feyland: The Dark Realm is available in ebook (only 2.99) and print (12.99) at Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, iTunes, and other retailers. Or buy the complete trilogy in one epic digital bundle for only $8.99. Three full books, one awesome adventure~ http://www.amazon.com/Feyland-The-Complete-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00B73TD9I/

Visit antheasharp.com, and head to http://www.tinyletter.com/AntheaSharp to sign up on my mailing list for info about new releases and bonus material!