Chapter 1

I'm not him, I'm not the self-centered, abusive attention loving Jonathan Nigma. I'm just Edward.... Edward Jonathan Nygma. These are the first thoughts that pop into my swirling mind every morning I wake up. It's almost New Year's Eve. and thank God my mom is home. Staying at home with just my dad alone is... often unbearable. After throwing on a collared shirt with a sweater and some dark jeans, and brushing my teeth, I head into the kitchen for breakfast. I adjust my glasses nervously, seeing my father sitting at the table with a beer, reading the paper. My mom is making breakfast, and I sit at the table next to my father. "Morning Eddie bear, sleep well?" My mom asks kissing my head as she places my plate of eggs and bacon in front of me, I nod. My thoughts always keep me up at night, but I never tell her."Katrina, another beer?" My dad asks from my mom. I clench my jaw as he orders her around, my mother has always showed unconditional love to me... That is when she's around for holidays. I still don't know exactly why she leaves us.

She hands him another drink from the fridge, and he takes it, obviously never thanking her. " you're welcome" I hear her mutter almost to quietly " so, Eddie bear.... How many times have you done The Nightmare Before Christmas as a play now?" She asks me with a laugh. I'd done this play with one of my close friends, Lee Thompkins, for 4 years now, and I've actually always enjoyed. "This will be my 4th time doing it." I say as I take a bite of eggs and a sip of orange juice. My father scoffed as he read the paper "I've never understood why you do that stupid play" I swallowed hard at this insensitive comment, trying my best to hold in any response. Say something, coward! My inner voice told me. The word Coward repeated over and over in my head. I can't. You know I can't... I responded in my thoughts. I knew if I said anything, he'd hurt me again. I kept quiet and finished my breakfast. After my mom had gotten ready she drove me to school, which was a nice change from walking due to dad refusing to take me, although Mrs.Thompkins drives me sometimes.