Chapter 5: The Awkward Meeting

The game already started when we arrived at the stadium.

 Suh Gin’s been absorbed in the game, cheering every time Donghae oppa’s team got the ball. But I am not.

 I am just there looking at Donghae oppa’s face.

 He’s gotten thinner.

 Feels like, he hasn’t slept for days.

 His cheerful aura is still there but something about him changed.

 The game ended without me knowing. Suh Gin is jumping of joy and that’s how I knew the game ended and they have won. Suh Gin grabbed my hand and run towards the field. She’s calling out Donghae oppa.

Hearing her, Donghae oppa look towards us and gave a huge smile. I know he’s happy  to see Suh Gin sshi,

 but does he feel the same towards me?

 I wonder but I was surprised when he hugged us both saying,

“I’m so happy that you’re here! I think your presence is the reason why we won.” Hearing those words made me so happy.

We shared the lunchtime talking together. He sure ate a lot than usual. Now I can see his face more clearly. Yeah, seems like he had no sleep. He got big, dark eye bags. His goatee seems visible. I think he didn’t shave this day. He should take good care of himself. If only I can say that to him, but we are not that close unlike Suh Gin who can tell him everything she wants to say. I envied her so much but I can’t change the fact that I am only a member of the choir for him.

 He noticed my silence but did not ask me why; instead, he got something from his bag and handed it to me. I did not expect it,but he gave me a small blue box. He said I should not open it until I arrive to our dorm. I smiled as a sign of thanking him and he smiled back at me, too. I think I’m in cloud nine as he said the words

“Belated happy birthday Yoona.”

 He did not forget my special day and even it’s a little too late, I know he will never forget. Suh Gin told him how worried I am for not hearing from him. I am so ashamed of the fact that Donghae oppa will know that I cared for him and I’m afraid that he’ll know my feelings keep hidden from him that I want to walk away from them but my heart wants me to stay – to know how he felt for me too.

But to my surprise, he did not even say a word. His face hardened as if it annoys him to be cared of by me. It hurts me, really hurts me. I wanted to just burst into tears but I don’t want him to see me crying because of him. I decided to have an excuse to leave.

“What time is it?”

 I ask to start my excuse. Donghae oppa looked at his watch wand said,

“Aish! Yoona sshi, gam sa ham nida” he said.

 I wonder why he’s thanking me but then he added,

 “The team still, has a meeting today. I’m afraid I will leave you two now. I think Yoona sshi have something to do, too.”

 I just nodded not looking from his eyes. I’m avoiding those eyes. Those two dark brown twinkling windows of the soul can read your thoughts. I’m afraid that he can read mine that is why I’m avoiding them. We part by saying a simple

“Ah nyeong hi ka se yo”.