Chapter 19

Lisa’s POV:

I couldn’t stop staring at my phone. I’ll pick you up at four. X. From Jake.

No warning, no asking me, nothing. Just I’ll pick you up at four. Oh, and an X.

I had no idea what was going to happen. It would be our first date, so I had nothing to expect. It was three o’clock and I was still sitting on my bed, clutching my phone.

I finally typed back, How should I dress?

Casual. And don’t do anything to your hair! And don’t put on any makeup.

What? Why?

Because that’s how I like you best. :)

“Aw!” I swooned. “Guys, look what he said!”

Dani and Lauren were sitting on Lauren’s bed across the room. “Hmm, who could ‘him’ be?” Lauren teased.

“If it’s Theo James, I’m in,” Dani added.

(A/N: THEO JAMES WOOT WOOT)

I rolled my eyes. “You dorks. Come here!”

When they finally got out of bed, I showed them the message and they had my same reaction. I also screenshotted it and sent it to Kath and Amy who replied with ‘AWWWW’s and heart and heart eye emojis.

Lauren and Dani went right back to lying on the bed, watching Once Upon A Time on my laptop.

“You guys are bed potatoes,” I said.

“Um, that’s not even a thing,” Dani replied, here eyes still fixated on the screen.

“Well, couch potatoes spend all day on the couch watching TV, bed potatoes spend all day in bed watching TV,” I explained. “It’s totally a thing.”

(A/N: if it is then I’m totally a bed potato oops)

I heaved myself out of my comfy bed (okay, maybe I’m a bed potato too) and headed toward the bathroom to shower. As I was leaving, I heard Laur and Dani simultaneously shout, “AW, DAVID!!” I laughed, having no idea what they were talking about.

 I was going to follow Jake’s instructions to dress casual, not do anything to my hair, and put on no makeup but I wanted to make sure I at least smelled good. I’d gone on a long run with Kath this morning and then collapsed on the bed, sweaty and smelly, too tired to take a shower. I was positive Jake wouldn’t want to see me like this.

After a shower, I simply combed and blow-dried my hair, then left it alone. I instinctively reached toward my makeup drawer, but pulled my hand back, even though I had some forehead acne I really wanted to cover up. Instead, I left the bathroom and put on clean skinny jeans, a T-shirt, and Vans.

I went outside to wait, my hands shaky and my heart racing with the anticipation. I helped Amy get outside and onto the padded swinging bench and we sat and talked about Jake.

“He’s so cute when he texts you and so sweet,” Amy gushed. “You’re really lucky.”

“Yeah, I am,” I said, smiling.

I heard the sound of a car and instantly rose and looked around the corner, but it wasn’t him. I sat back down and waited anxiously, tapping my feet. Amy took out her phone and started to play her country playlist. I danced and sang along to Carrie Underwood and Hunter Hayes to try and stop my jitters. It didn’t really work, because every time a car drove by, I instinctively jumped up, while Amy laughed and said, “It’s not him!”