33 | ACT II, SCENE V

Start from the beginning

And this made us the richest kingdom in the whole of Endollon.

The other half of the river ended in a city in Normount called Erstonia. And yet, here I stood in Wedgemore, Deimos's capital, watching the tributaries flow by, almost breaking my heart.

The river was dying.

It meandered slowly, pitifully, like an old man wheezing his way through the last years of his life. It had lost its original luster. What had once been a glittering and mighty river was now thinner and starving, muddy and mixed with god knew what filth people threw into it.

Such a waste.

With every step I took in Deimos Everly's kingdom, my fury rose higher and higher, more than enough to melt all its purple topped ivory mountains.

I was enraged, no, I was positively incensed.

Harsh winds blew, opposing my way as I spotted people shivering in their damaged huts, crying for food and help. It was a cruel cold, biting into my blood as my eyes fell on children clinging to their mother. She shivered and huddled them closer to protect them from the winds. Beside her lay a plate with breadcrumbs and a glass of water which had already frozen to ice.

They didn't even have clothes.

I raised my hands and closed my eyes, gathering my strength. Around me, I heard gasps of shock as people spotted their Queen. Ice thudded and fell but melted as my heat worked into the frost, thawing it. Easily, I drew in more spools of fire and defrosted the lakes and waters, heat radiating off my body in waves as people cried at the warmth and huddled closer to my feet.

No one should have to live like this.

"Get your vessels," I ordered them. "All of them. All your jugs and pitchers, all your glasses and bowls. Get them and stand at the gates of Raichester Keep."

"But - my Queen, the Lord Everly does not allow beggars at his gates. His men drive us away-" cried the woman. The other sullen faces nodded in agreement.

"Leave it to me. Gather your vessels and wait at the gates."

Further and further in I walked, as crowds of people followed the trail of warmth in my wake. Some of them began to depart to their homes to fetch their utensils as my lips pulled up in a smile. Yet my steps fell heavily on the snow as poverty gave way to even worse. The streets were bitterly cold and humid as I made my way to the richer parts of the city.

The buildings became more and more lavish as I neared Deimos's home. The streets were smoother than marble, the people had fur lined coats as they stuffed themselves with rum and cake, oblivious to the miserable condition of the rest of the city. Peacocks wandered in rose lawns and trees swung with exotic fruits.

I reached the gate of Raichester Keep.

One could never have looked up to see how high the structure was, built out of pure, solid gold as it was. The light bounced off it, creating a dazzling facade and almost blinding my eyes. Even the bolts and keys were made of gold, sparkling radiantly as the sun and showing off the power of the royal House of Everly.

The guards noticed me and bowed. They shot each other a hesitant look before opening the elegantly wrought gates which closed behind me with a clang. All the crenelations and towers were draped with the purple banners of the Everlys emblazoned with a silver basilisk.