Still in a daze, Elizabeth asked, "And he truly purchased Netherfield for me? The money that estate makes from now on will go into an account for me?"

"Yes."

"I—I just cannot believe this. It is more than I could have ever imagined. Especially from a man such as Mr. Darcy."

"I am of the same mind, but there is more, Lizzy."

Meeting her father's equally shocked gaze, Lizzy asked, "What more could he possibly give?"

"Mr. Galloway told me that Mr. Darcy has his attorney working on breaking the entail on Longbourn.  He will offer to buy it first from Mr. Collins, and if that does not work he will take him to court to legally break the entail.  From there Longbourn will be given to you to decide what to do with."

Elizabeth sank back in her chair in total stupefaction. She literally had no idea what to do or say. She and her father sat in silence for several moments before Mr. Bennet spoke.  "Lizzy, I know Mr. Darcy has said he loves you, and I know he proposed to you in Kent and you denied him, but these are truly the actions of a man in love."

"An insufferably proud and arrogant man who has little care or concern for the feeling of others, Papa."

"That may be so, but for him to provide so much for your comfort and the comfort of your family I can't help but believe he truly wants to make you happy."

Glaring at her father, Lizzy insisted, "If he wanted to make me happy he wouldn't be forcing me to marry him."

"I'm not excusing his actions, Lizzy, but I cannot deny that this gives me hope.  I despaired that you were going to be shackled to man that would treat you like a toy, but now I know that is not the case.  Again, I do not agree with Mr. Darcy's actions in forcing you to marry him, but now I believe he is doing it because he is desperate.  I do not know if you can ever love him, but I now have hope that you might find some happiness with him.  If he is willing to go to such lengths to make sure you are provided for, certainly he will go farther to make sure you are happy."

"Do you truly have such hope, Papa?"

Nodding his head, Thomas Bennet answered, "He swore to me he'd do everything in his power to make you happy.  That he would do his best to earn your love and regard.  At the time I did not believe him.  I thought he was trying to justify his buying your hand, but with this settlement I can't help but believe that he truly intends to do everything in his power to make you happy."

Looking down at the settlement papers in her hands, Elizabeth remarked, "I have no idea what to think, Papa.  I cannot sketch Mr. Darcy's character.  On one hand he is forcing me to marry him, and on the other he is doing so much for me and our family. What am I to make of any of this?"

"I am just as lost as you, Lizzy, but I do know that Mr. Darcy is apparently a man of many mysteries.  Before he came to demand your hand I had no idea of his interest in you whatsoever, and after that day I was so certain he was a man that cared only for his own happiness, but with this settlement I now am certain that while he is most definitely a selfish man, and exceedingly proud, he is also in love with you.  Of that I am quite sure."

When Lizzy remained silent, Mr. Bennet continued, "The question now, my daughter, is whether or not you think you can ever be happy with him?"

"I—I do not know. I'm beginning to realize I don't know him at all. Like you, I had no idea of Mr. Darcy's regard for me until he proposed to me in Kent. I thought he disliked me as much as I disliked him, but ..."

"But?"

Looking into her father's hopeful eyes, Lizzy continued, "But now, much as you, I am certain he truly loves me. I just do not know if I can ever love him."