~5~

This chapter is going to be lit!  Eat your heart out, Caroline!  Darcy loves Elizabeth!

Bingley approached the sitting room where his sisters were currently awaiting morning callers with some trepidation.  In his hand was the morning's paper containing the announcement of the engagement of Fitzwilliam Darcy- to a woman that was not Caroline Bingley.  He had been beyond surprised to read of Darcy's engagement, especially to Miss Elizabeth Bennet, as Darcy himself had objected to Bingley connecting himself to such a family.  However, he knew his surprise would be nothing to the shock and outrage that Caroline would feel.  As such, Bingley wanted to make her aware of it before one of her "friends" did when they came to call.

While Caroline believed she had many friends, the truth was she surrounded herself with women just as vicious as she, and he knew they would each delight in pointing out her failure.  Everyone knew that Caroline Bingley had been after Fitzwilliam Darcy with a vengeance since she had first come out, and the announcement in the paper would be the end to many years of fruitless pursuit.  Still, while Bingley did not enjoy his sister's often haughty and condescending attitude, and believed she did deserve a set down occasionally, he did not want her publicly humiliated. He felt that it would be best that he be the one to point it out to her.  In private, so that she'd have time to prepare herself before her friends came to call.

He entered the parlor, greeting his sisters,.  "Good morning, my fair sisters."

Looking up from the fashion magazines they were pursuing( as both Louisa and Caroline were determined to always portray themselves with the newest fashions), Caroline replied, "Good morning, Charles.  Is there something you needed?  You do not normally join us to greet callers in the morning."

Clearing his throat, Bingley replied, "And I have no intention of joining you this morning.  I just wanted to make you aware of something in the paper before anyone else has the chance to."

Uninterested in anything not in one of her fashion magazines, Caroline went back to reading as she waved her hand dismissively. "Oh I'm not too concerned with the news.  It is always terrible anyhow.  What bill is passing in parliament and so on.  Or whether or not the peasants should be educated.  All terribly boring to me as you know."

Louisa, picking up on her brother's nervousness, asked, "Does it pertain to us, Charles?   Otherwise I have to agree with Caroline.  You know neither of us is really interested in reading the paper."

"You'll be interested in reading this one.  I assure you."

Moving to sit next to Caroline, Charles took her hand, and said, "Caroline, I know this news will distress you, but I ask that you remember all the talks we had of my friend.  I have told you time and time again that Mr. Darcy is not interested in you, and have begged you on more than one occasion to stop pursuing him."

Now he certainly had her attention.  Dropping her fashion magazine, Caroline demanded, "What are you speaking of, Charles?  I know of your opinions of my connection with Mr. Darcy, but I assure you he is soon to make his addresses(yeah, right.  You wish!). The aligning of our families would be marvelous.  And you really should pursue Georgiana.  She is just the sort of girl you should settle down with."

Rolling his eyes, Bingley insisted, "I care deeply for Georgiana, Caroline, as you know, but as a sister.  I could never see myself married to her.  I remember her as a child when Darcy would invite me to Pemberley with him over the holidays when we were away from school.  I played games with her!  No.  You must stop placing your hopes on such a union.  I will choose a wife I feel my chances of felicity are best with."

Holding out the paper to his sister, Bingley announced, "And Mr. Darcy is not meant for you either.  His engagement to Miss Elizabeth Bennet of Hertfordshire has been announced in today's paper.  The wedding is to take place two months from now."