Prologue

A/N : This is an extract from Shannon Hale's "The Storybook of Legend". The rest of the book will be my original work.

The great hall of Ever After High smelled like floor wax and old stone mixed with the tangy musk of magic. The fire in the hearth burned blue. An enchanted frog sat beside the arched doorway, repeating, "Welcome to the legacy day ceremony. Please watch your step. Crrrroak."
The second year students passed the-frog some tripping on the step-and walked solemnly outside. On the castle terrace, the audience waited in gilded chairs. Beyond a stream-carved ravine, the Enchanted Forest twinkled with the bright trails of fairies. But the students hadn't gathered on the terrace for the view. All eyes were on Headmaster Grimm, standing at the podium. He smoothed down his gray-turning-white hair and smiled at the audience.
He held up the story book of legends so all could see. Magic sparkled off its gold-embossed cover like glitter in whirlwind.
"Today is the most important day at Ever After High-indeed, the most important day in all the Land of Ever After."
The Audience cheered.
"This year, Legacy Day is your day," the headmaster said to the second year students, who were lined before the stairs to the podium. They were dressed in their formal Legacy Day outfits-beautiful ball gowns, regal price suits, mermaid dresses dripping salty puddles.
"Today you take the first step in claiming your glorious fairytale legacies. Once you sign the Storybook of Legends, you will relive it. In this your story, your legacy-and your very life-will be preserved."
The headmaster placed the book carefully on the podium and stepped back.
The first student to climb the stairs rode on the back of a little all the way up the side of the podium. The tiny boy leaped off the mouse and declared his destiny as the next Tom Thumb. His signature in the book was a blot the size of an ant.
The daughter of a fairy godmother pushed her glasses up her nose and signed her promise to become the next Cinderella's helper.
A future witch wore her mother's black dress and pointy hat, but lavender flip-flops peeked from beneath the hem. She signed with a frown, hastily wiping a tear off her cheek.
While everyone watched with interest, two in the audience barely breathed. They barely blinked. One leaned forward yearning for her chance to sign. The other leaned back, as if nervous to get too close.
Both would take their turn at the book in just one year. And one's choice would change the Land of Ever After forever. After.