ONE

Disclaimer

Hey, I'm back!

Grace for half this chapter: where the fuck are my kids?

✦

Grace Parker didn't move from her spot for the next ten minutes. She ignores the goosebumps that form from the low temperature and the classical music that drifts through the air like some sick final song. She's terrified that if she looks away from the window for even a second that Harper would disappear and she would be left alone again.

The blonde is still pacing. Grace slams her palm against the door another time, one last attempt at getting her attention. Much to her surprise, Harper turns around.

"Grace?" Harper asks. It is muffled and incredibly hard to figure out, but Grace nods her head. The blonde starts hitting the door, throwing her side into it.

"It's okay," Grace shouts through the door, desperate for the girl to just cease her excessive slamming on the door. If someone was around and they heard her, they might try and hurt her. "I need you to calm down, okay? Just calm down!"

Harper stops her assault against the door, something to her right making her freeze. Someone in a blue hazmat suit steps in front of Grace's door, the redhead's eyes widening in surprise. Her mouth drops open slightly and she steps back from the door.

A sharp beeping sound echoes around the room.

"Grace Parker, if you want me to explain what is going on, I'm going to need you to step away from the door."

Grace is surprised when she hears the kind but firm tone the girl inside the suit uses. She doesn't really know what she was expecting exactly, but that wasn't it.

Grace clenches her fists tightly by her side to refrain from asking any questions, and then takes another step back. The sound of air leaving the room as the door opens makes Grace think back to what it sounded like when the dropship door first opened. A pang is sent through her at the thought. She would likely never see that place again.

The girl steps into the room slowly and cautiously, which Grace is thankful for. She wasn't sure what she would do if he girl had made any quick movements, not in this moment of panic for her friends and for herself. The girl moves her hand towards her face and Grace tenses, one hand flying out as if it would stop her.

"Sorry," the girl apologizes. "I'm just going to take off my helmet, okay?"

Grace nods her head. She would've felt embarrassed but the fear that was filling her with every passing second had failed her from doing so. The girl moves slower this time, reaching up to pull her helmet off. She has dark, frizzy hair and kind brown eyes. Her eyebrows are thick and her lips are plump. "Who are you? And how do you know my name?"