Chapter 14: The Meeting

Saturday, January 21 

Andy woke up that day feeling excited. Black Veil Brides was going to L.A to have a meeting with Standby Records. They were only staying there for two days so they only packed a few changes of clothes, along with their instruments, except for CC who wouldn’t be able to fit an entire drum kit in a plane. The guys and girls met at Jinxx's house to say goodbye.

“Promise to bring me something from L.A?” Sammi asked Jinxx.

“Promise,” Jinxx said and kissed her.

Andy adjusted the beanie on his head. He knew they were only going to be gone for three days, but he didn't want to leave Carolyn. He told his parents about that this morning, but not by choice. They knew something was up with him. So he just told them. They said that it was possible that he was in love with Carolyn. But how could he? He had only known her for about five months. He told his parents that.

“We can't choose who we fall in love with.” his dad had told him.

“But how can I be in love with her if I've only known her for like half a year?” he remembered asking.

“It doesn't matter how long you've known the person. What matters is how they've impacted you.” his mom said. “Look how big of an impact Carolyn's had on you. You swore to protect her, you wrote her a song, you got rid of her dad... Why did you do that?”

“I didn't want to see her hurt.” he had said. “She'd been through a lot in her life and I wanted her pain to be gone. Seeing her sad just felt like someone was poking my heart with a cold metal rod. I didn't want her to feel like that.”

His parents gave each other a look, as if he'd just admitted to something. But what could it be? Suddenly Andy's stomach lurched with realization. I am in love...

The sound of Carolyn's voice sent his heart racing faster. “Good luck on your meeting.” she said.

Andy spread out his arms and Carolyn hugged him tight, seeing as he'd be gone for two days. Andy wrapped his arms around her small frame and hugged back.

“I'll see you again. It'll only be two days.” Andy said. “I'll call you when we get there.” and just because he couldn't resist, he planted a small kiss on her forehead. Carolyn looked at him and he could tell she felt as if she wanted to do something, but she wasn't sure.

“I love you.” Andy said. They've said that to each other a bunch of times, though it hurt Andy that she only meant it as a friend while he really meant it.

“I love you too.” Carolyn said.

He heard one of the guys cough. Ashley gave him a knowing look and Jake lifted his eyebrows twice suggestively. Andy felt his cheeks get a bit hot before pulling away. They all climbed into Jinxx's truck and rode off to the airport. It had started to rain; Andy's favorite weather. Rain always gave him ideas. He took out his song book and flipped to a new page.

In the front seat, Jake was tapping his fingers against something hard. Just a random beat he was making up. Tap. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. Thump. Jake repeated that three more times. Then on something else he tapped ten more times twice, then went back to the beginning.