Chapter 16

Zanobia

I couldn't believe that my dad was standing in front of me. I have dreamed about this day, and it's finally here. I didn't even care that I dropped the glass, or the fact that the tiny shards had cut my foot. I stood still, and looked at Kidd for reassurance.

It felt like someone was playing a trick on me.. after five years I get to see him. My lip trembled as I walked over to him, he looked good. He smiled at me and cried once I pulled him into a tight hug.

"Nobia?"

"Yes, dad it's me. Your back with me and I'm never letting you go!"

I pulled away from the hug and checked over him, running my fingers through his curly hair. "What's going on with your hair?"

He looked down shyly and grinned.. I missed him so much. I picked his head up and kissed his cheek. It's crazy to say but my dad is kind of like my child. He's so delicate, and sweet it's impossible not to love him.

"I missed you.. Nobia, where.." He looked up and placed his hand on his chin, trying to find the words. "Where.. were you?"

"I was.. looking for you"

"They treat, you good?"

"Yes"

I looked away briefly and then back at him. I can't tell him about all the things I went through. When he reads the notebooks he'll find out himself. I took him in the living room and sat down on the couch, he came close to me and snuggled under me.

"I'm gonna head out.."

"I know, you probably had him the entire time, but I'm not upset. I'm actually glad someone cared enough to help him.. thank you Kidd"

He smiled, "your welcome.. I have a surprise for you. Its not quite ready yet, so give me a little more time. I'm sure you'll love it though. Good night"

I waved goodbye and looked down at my dad who had fallen asleep. My big baby, I held him tight.. it felt like if I let go someone would come snatch him from me. I can't let anyone take him from me again, I can't let them hurt him anymore. He doesn't deserve what has been done to him.

If I could take away the pain he's felt and carry his problems for him I would. Even though I have my own issues, I'd still break my back to carry the stress before I let him carry it. I want to be better than my mom, she gave up the moment it got tough.

I still despise her for that, she promised him that she would never leave. He needed her and she punked out because it got too hard. I didn't run when times got rough, I was eleven taking care of my dad by myself.

Homeless, leading the way and taking most of the backlash for my dad. I hate the people who hurt and made him this way. There's no reason he should have to put his head down, or move in silence in his own home.

I noticed a scar on his face, one that wasn't there the last time I seen him. It made me wonder what he's been through.. maybe he wonders just what I've been through.

I got up once I heard Eliza crying, immediately June bug woke up shaking.. he looked afraid and that pained me.

"June bug, it's me.. calm down"

He looked around almost like he was panicking.. "Salaam.." he put his head down and started to cry. Each time I tried to reach out to touch him, he'd flinch and jump.

"Waa i kan, aad Nobia"

I tried speaking in our native language, telling him it was only me. I watched as he slowly lifted his head and reached out to touch my hand.