Us Boys and Girls of Every Age, Looking Out for Something Strange

Halloween has finally come and I've spent the last week putting together a costume, so far I've borrowed one of Dad's old, dust and ripped up suits. It's a good slim fitting suit and goes well with a pale mask with stitches for a smile. I was aiming for a slenderman kind of look but dad thinks I look more like 'Pumpkin Jack' from one of those old movies.

When I got to the party it felt like I was just about on time as a few others arrived too. To some extent I did think my costume was better but they were all fairies and a Darth Vader. Eventually someone let us all in and we spread out to find familiar faces. It's good to see at least Harry got invited. I took my mask off to greet him.

"Hey, you seen anyone else around?" I asked Harry, he looked bored and he had probably been here a while.

"I think I saw Jen with Georgie but I think they might have gone outside for some 'fresh air', so I wouldn't bother." I couldn't help but agree, easier not to catch them in the middle of something.

I continued to look around for a while still half talking to Harry but like usual not really giving a crap about what he has to say. Sooner or later she'd spotted me and started waving me over before I could figure out who was under that mask, Laura.

"Hey, I starting to wonder if you'd come or not." She took off her skull like mask to reveal her usual pretty face.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." I replied. We both stood together, exchanging a shy smile for a moment. It wasn't quite an awkward silence, more of a sweet, delicate moment which even I could cock up. "You look good by the way."

"It's nothing, just an old costume from the loft." We smiled more and with some courage I tried to be flirty for one of the first times.

"You know, I didn't exactly mean the costume." Oh god why?

"Not too bad yourself either." She looked like she was giving me a quick look over.

"I'm a little surprised you're not after one of the girls here to be honest."

"And what if I'm not that interested in girls tonight?"

"Then we should take this conversation upstairs and find out what you do want."

"I guess we should." Then by some miracle she looked me over one last time, took my hand and showed me upstairs. This sort of thing was unheard of on the island, we needed a word for it. It was, something new and different but at the same time it felt so natural. It was straight.

If I wasn't nervous on the landing, I surely was by the time she'd got us sat on the side of the bed together. I looked up and stared into her hazel eyes as she looked back at me. The same force that had brought us here let us close our eyes and just simply drift together. We met at the bridges of our noses to half open our eyes and say our last words.

"Is this even natural?" She asked.

"Does it feel wrong?"

"I'll tell you when i figure that out." She smiled shortly then we closed our eyes once more and kissed. "I think I found my answer."

"And?"

"It's never been any more right." Then we kissed again, this time our lips stayed connected, swaying while our arms wrapped around each other's bodies. We lay on the bed looking at each other, moved, confused and convinced.