Chapter 21

Hello, loves! So there's only going to be like one more chapter of this story and then there will be a sequel. Sequels are good, right? Don't kill me for making it such short story!

PEACESKIES! xx Shel

Chapter 21

Danielle’s P.O.V.

I came out of the dressing room to see Kora trembling as she stood in front of her mother. As quick as I could, I ran over to her side and grabbed her in my arms. She broke down when I touched her, sobbing into my shoulder and wrapping her arms around my torso.

I glared at the woman across from me, hating whatever she had done to the girl that was basically my little sister. “What did you do?”

“What do you mean?” Helen acted baffled, holding her hand to her chest like she was in shock. “All I did was say hello.”

Kora let out another broken sob.

I cringed and rubbed her back as I turned to Ms. Julian. “What did you say to her?”

“I told her I wouldn’t let her renew her contract until she spent a year a the Joffrey Ballet School.”

Kora’s trembling suddenly stilled as she let go of me. She turned to face the two adults, a look of determination now present on her face. She wiped away her tears before speaking.

“You know what?” Kor looked directly at her mother. “This still doesn’t mean I have to leave. We’re set up to go on tour with One Direction and dance with them so I can just stay with Dani until then. After that, I guess I’ll have to find a new studio.”

Ms. Julian frowned. “Kora, don’t do that. I love having you dance here.”

Kora rounded on her. “Then why won’t you let me stay? Huh? Why are you forcing me to go to Joffrey? Doesn’t anybody care about what I want?”

Helen rolled her eyes. “You’re sixteen. You don’t know what you want.”

“You’re wrong.” Kor stated, her glare full of hate as she looked at her mother. “I know I want to stay here with Danielle. I know I want to be with Niall. I know my dance career is here in London, not back in New York. I sure as heck know I don’t want to be a professional ballerina or go to Joffrey. Can’t you see I don’t want your dreams?”

I remained silent during this whole thing, just watching the expressions on Helen and Ms. Julian’s face. Helen look smug, like she knew something we didn’t. Ms. Julian looked conflicted and I would bet she was regretting everything she had said to Kor.

“You are so naïve.” Helen laughed. “I’ve already signed you to Joffrey. You can’t get out of the contract. You start with them next week.”

Kora looped her arm through mine. “You still can’t force me to move.”

I wrapped my arms around the smaller, red haired girl, knowing she needed all the strength she could get. She needed to know I was there for her and would always be there for her. That’s what best friends do.

“But she can,” a male voice said from Ms. Julian’s office.

We all looked to our right to see a tall, dark haired man step out of the room. He looked to be in his forties and had an arrogant vibe about him that immediately made me realize he was up to no good. I held Kora closer, feeling the need to protect her.

“Who the heck are you?” I asked, my voice colder than it ever has been.

“I’m Robert, Kora’s stepfather. Who are you?”

I lifted myself to my full height, letting him know he didn’t intimidate me. “I’m Danielle Peazer. I’m Kor’s guardian.”

The man laughed along with Helen. “Well, Miss Peazer, I hate to tell you this, but being her guardian doesn’t mean anything to us. We are her parents and she is still a minor, if we say she’s moving that means she’s moving.”

Kora looked up at me then at the adults in front us. She but her lip, signaling she was planning something. I had a feeling I knew what it was so I let her go and took a step away. She took a deep breath.

“I guess that means I have-” before Kora finished her sentence, she spun on her heels and bolted out the door.

I smiled, yelling, “Run, Kora, run!” while her mom and stepfather scrambled after her.

There was only one place she would be going and there was no way they would find her there.

*****

Kora’s P.O.V.

I ran as fast as I could down the road, following the path Danielle and Eleanor had led me down this morning. There was no way my mother would make me move. I wasn’t going to leave Niall, or Danielle, or any of the boys for that matter. It just wasn’t going to happen.

I heard my name shouted quite some ways behind me and I picked up the pace, slamming my feet on the sidewalk and propelling forward as fast as I could. Thank goodness I ran a lot to stay in shape for dance.

With just a block to go, I stopped hearing my name. I wasn’t for sure if my mom and apparent step dad had given up or I had just gotten so far away from them that I could no longer hear their voices. The building I was in search of appeared and I pushed even faster to get there sooner. I bolted up the steps of the complex and shot straight up the stairs, not even bothering to wait on the elevator.

People gave me odd looks as I passed them, but I didn’t care and just ignored them. I made it to the floor I wanted and finally stopped running when I got to the door I needed. I pounded my fist on it, panting heavily as I did. The adrenaline was still coursing through my veins, causing me to be even more impatient than normal as I waited for an answer.

Finally, the door opened and the blonde Irish boy I needed to see was right in front of me.

I threw my arms around him, crashing us to the floor of his flat as I did so. I landed on top of him, making him chuckle as I leaned down to kiss him. He pulled away after a second, giving me a concerned look.

Niall brushed my now crazy hair out of my face, frowning as he noticed my heavy breathing. “What’s wrong? Did you miss me so much you ran all the way here from the studio?”

Not even the playful twinkle in his eyes could make me smile. “I wish that was the reason.”

He sat up, forcing me to roll off of him and onto my back on the cool wooden floor. “Red, what happened?”

Before I could answer a chuckle came from the doorway, causing both mine and Niall’s heads to snap in the direction.

And just my luck, there stood my mother and stepfather, a smirk on both of their faces.

“Next time, you might want to close the door Kora,” Mom said, breaking into hysterics like she was the most hilarious person on earth.

I looked at Niall, saying, “That’s what happened,” before fresh tears formed in my eyes.