Chapter 22

Here it is! The last chapter of Dancing In One Direction! Please don't kill me! I will start the sequel either later tonight (it's already 10 o'clock btw) or tomorrow!

xx Shel

Chapter 22

Niall scrambled to his feet, pulling me up with him and pushing me behind his back. He kept an arm around me, as though he was keeping me in place. I clung to his arm, wanting the protection he provided.

“Why are you afraid, Kora? I’m just your mother.” She sneered at me, narrowing her eyes. I thought of how wrong her statement was; she had never been a mother to me.

I glared back at her, despite the tears that were clouding my eyes. “I’m not afraid of you. I’m afraid of leaving this place. This is my home now, Mom, can’t you see that? This is where I want to be.”

She shook her head. “I’m sorry, but I can’t let you stay here. You’re better than this. Plus, you’re already signed with Joffrey.”

Niall scoffed. “Isn’t that like a federal crime?”

Mom gave him a pointed look. “I wasn’t talking to you. Now, Kora, I’m giving you one last chance. You can either come willingly or we force you to come with us.”

I looked between her and my new stepfather, judging if I’d be able to bolt again. They were blocking the door so that option was out. I glanced at Niall who was staring back at me with a pleading face. He didn’t want me to leave, that was obvious by the look in his eyes.

I wrapped my arms around his waist. “I’m staying. End of story.”

Mom looked at Robert, giving a slight nod of her head. He came forward and grabbed my wrist, yanking me away from my boyfriend.

Niall grabbed my arm, shoving Robert back as he did. “Don’t touch her.”

“Oh, so you’re going to stand up to me?” Robert scoffed, rolling his eyes.

“Of course I am. This whole situation is messed up. Kor wants to stay, why won’t you let her?”

Mom spoke up. “Because she has to do what I wasn’t able to. We expect more out of her than living here and not having a career.”

“I have a career!” I shouted, the fuse on my temper igniting. “Just because it’s not the career you want me to have doesn’t make it any less of a career!”

“Do not talk to me that way, young lady! What happened to the Kora I knew? The good little girl that would never talk back to her mother?”

I stepped around Niall, getting right in my mom’s face. “She’s gone. She was never the real me. I always hated being pushed to be the perfect little prima ballerina you wanted. I stopped being that girl that was forced to live you dream the day I turned down Joffrey. Face it Mom, I’m not a bunhead and I never will be. I’m a contemporary dancer.”

She smirked then said, “Get her, Rob!”

“What the heck?!” I yelled as I was grabbed around the waist and thrown over Robert’s shoulder.

Niall charged at the older man, but Robert shoved him to the ground and kicked him in the stomach. I screamed and thrashed around, pounding my fists on his back to try to get him to drop me, but nothing worked. Niall got back to his feet as Robert was exiting the door. He grabbed my arms and successfully pulled me off my stepfather’s shoulder, causing us to tumble back to the floor.

“What’s going on?” I heard Zayn call down the hallway, followed by the sound of footsteps running.

“Zayn!” I yelled, helping Niall up and scrambling out of Robert’s reach.

Zayn grabbed Robert’s arm when he took a swing at Niall, but ended up getting slammed into the wall and knocked to the ground. His eyes shut as he grabbed his head and groaned. That couldn’t be good.

“Where are the other boys?” I asked Niall as he pushed me behind him and further away from my psychotic family.

“They’re all out.” He replied, never taking his eyes off Robert.

Robert charged at Niall, body slamming him to the ground. I screamed and tried my best to get him off of Niall, but it was no use. I was too small to do anything to him. I felt someone else grab me and drag me away from where Niall was pinned to the ground. I shrieked at the person, flailing my arms and legs to try to hit them. I elbowed the unknown guy in the ribs, but it didn’t do anything.

Looking over my shoulder, I saw the person was a well-built teenage guy whom I had never seen before. He must be kin to Robert, I guessed.

“Niall!” I cried, desperate to get away but not having any luck.

“Kora!” His voice was broken and I saw his face contorted in pain as I was pulled out of the flat.

“Let me go!” I begged, all the fight leaving me as I was pulled further down the hallway, further away from my Niall.

I saw Robert run out of the flat and slam the door shut. My mom quickly tied a rope around the doorknob and connected the other end to the door across from Niall’s. I realized then that they had this planned out from the beginning. I heard fists beating against the door and an Irish inflection yelling threats and insults through the wood.

I thrashed around again.

The guy carrying me grunted. “I can’t let you go. Dad would kill me.”

Dad? Did he mean Robert?

“This is kidnapping!” I shouted, gaining the attention of a woman walking down the hallway.

“Don’t mind her,” the guy dragging me told the woman. “She hasn’t taken her medication.”

The lady just nodded and walked away. What was the point in even trying to get away if people believed lousy excuses like that?!

Tears streamed down my face as I was shoved into a cab. I saw Danielle at the corner of the sidewalk, looking at the cab like she couldn’t believe her eyes.

“Danielle!” I cried, praying she would hear me. “Dani, please! Help!”

My mom, who I hadn’t even noticed climb into the vehicle, threw her hand over my mouth and told the driver to go to the airport. I would never understand how anyone thought a teenage girl being thrown in a cab was a normal situation.

I saw my best friend run after the car, but her reflection soon disappeared in the rearview mirror. I continued to shout, but it was muffled by my mother’s hand and could barely be heard. My heart broke when I could no longer see Dani. I realized any hope I had of staying was now gone and I would probably never see Danielle again.

I started sobbing, my whole frame shaking violently as I cried. Questions swarmed my mind: Why did my mom have to do this? Why did I have to leave?

I lost the only boy I ever loved all because my mother wants me to live out her dream.

My life is so screwed up.

Niall’s P.O.V.

I stopped beating on the door when I could no longer hear Kora’s voice. I slid down the wall, tears leaving trails on my face. Zayn sat next to me, clutching his head in his hands. We were both in a lot of pain, but the pain in my chest outweighed the pain I felt physically.

I heard footsteps running down the hallway and jumped to my feet, praying it was Kora, but it wasn’t her voice that came through the door.

“Niall?” Danielle’s voice asked. “Are you in there?”

“Yeah, Zayn and I are locked in! I don’t understand why the door won’t open!” I kicked the wooden door, frustrated that I couldn’t do anything else.

A few minutes passed before the door swung open. Dani stood on the other side with a rope in her hands. She was unsuccessfully fighting back tears.

I knew what that meant.

I slid back down the wall, letting my head fall into my hands. “She’s gone,” I said, my voice only an octave above a whisper. “She’s gone.”