XIII

Thirteen

"Oh thank god you're here." Genny sighed in relief, shooting Miss Conner a thankful look. "I thought she'd never shut up."

I shot her a dark look as I stored our helmets and locked up my bike. Miss Conner laughed at her and I felt the warm rays of joy fill my body as the sound filled my ears. "I think she's lovely. You should look into the choir, I'm sure Mrs. Brisbane would love to have you."

Genny leaned over to whisper in my ear, "I know someone else who'd loooovveee to have you." My cheeks bloomed hot and I elbowed her in the stomach for her comment. She 'oof'd' and moved away from me, grumbling under her breath.

"I've gotta uh, talk to my chemistry teacher about something. See you in class." I nodded, but barely noticed her leave, too focused on the blonde in front of me.

Miss Conner raised a brow at our little interaction, watching her go. A confused expression bloomed across her face. I noted she'd dressed unusually casual today, in a pair of Old Navy skinny jeans that outlined her muscular legs, and a burgundy sweater, with tall black boots. Her hair was tied in a braid to one side and her makeup was light and fair.

"Do I have something on my face?" She spoke to me, causing me to snap out of my trance. My mouth opened and closed before I managed to stutter out a slightly believable sentence. "N-no! I just was t-thinking that you look very beautiful today."

Way to go, slick. Staring at her like a love-struck teenager. I shook my head at myself, refusing to admit that that was exactly what I'd become.

Her lips parted in surprise, a strange look passing through her eyes as the corners of her mouth lifted up into an endearing smile, a smile I was beginning to realize was saved just for me. "Thank you, but I am not the one everyone stares at when walking into a room." I frowned, tipping my head to the side in a curious manner.

"What do you mean?"

She gestured toward the school, a mischievous look in her eyes as she evaded my question. "Come, it's cold out here. We can talk more inside." I followed her obediently into the school and towards the elevators, content to just stand in her presence. The doors opened after a minute and we climbed in. I reached for the button to our floor the same time she did, our hands clashing and making us laugh.

"Sorry." I grinned sheepishly. I tapped the one we needed before stepping back, leaning against the wall with a heavy sigh. Her eyes ran over my body tentatively, stopping on my face.

Heat bloomed in my body as she stepped closer. "Do you remember what you said to me your first day at this school?" I raised a brow at the random question, a wistful smile forming on my lips.

"I said a great deal of things to you, that day." I grimaced in embarrassment. "I'm sorry. I was out of line. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." I apologized, wondering if that's what she needed. I hadn't had a leash on my attraction for her this whole time, and while I was content to let it bloom into something more, the last thing I wanted to do was burden her or her career.

Her cool eyes watched my face for a moment, my heart stuttering dangerously in my chest as she stepped even closer, lowering the purse she shouldered to the floor. I could smell the apple-cinnamon of her breath on my face.