V

Five

"Shay! You're going to be-"

"Late?" I finished as I came around the corner. Mom glowered at me from her position at the counter as she tossed her dark hair behind her in a messy bun that somehow managed to look like a stylist had done it.

I twisted the Dutch braids I'd managed to whip out, the ends sticking out over my breasts, falling down over the soft grey shirt I wore. My outfit this morning was a little classier than I usually went for, but I wasn't ashamed to admit that I looked damn good in these leggings and knee-high boots with soft burgundy socks that peeked out the top. I finished off the look with a cute black leather jacket. My makeup consisted of some foundation to cover the few spots I had and some light eye-liner finished off with some mascara.

But even with my cute outfit, in scrubs and a long white over-coat, my mom still topped me.

"You look cute today." Mom remarked as she looked me over, quirking an eyebrow in question.

I blinked defensively, placing a hand over my heart, an exaggerated sigh leaving my mouth. "Well mother," I mimicked Rapunzel's voice from Tangled. "Us lesser beings have to actually work to look decent in the mornings." She scoffed.

"Whatever you say, darling." She mimicked back, her voice deepening into that of the evil witch. "And that's actually complimenting yourself since you are technically half of me." Smugness radiated off of her. "You're welcome."

I rolled my eyes as I squeezed past her to open the fridge, frowning when I didn't see anything good. "Do we have any-"

"Pop tarts?" She finished as she slid the box over to me.

"We're starting to sound like Anna and Hans from Frozen." I popped my tart into the toaster and eagerly waited for the strawberry goodness to pop out and grace me with its glorious scent.

She fake-gagged. "God, I hate that fucking movie. Robbins plays it all the damn time for the kids in Pediatrics and I swear she knows how much it pisses me off." I laughed, her hatred of Frozen never got old. When that movie came out she took me to see it and for some unknown reason we became addicted to it and watched it like clockwork. Now even the mention of it made us was to claw our eyes out.

"Time to bring out the hammer." I joked, earning an eye-roll in response as she pulled her shoes on and grabbed her purse.

I used to play it really loud in the middle of the night sometimes just to irritate the living shit out of her. But the last time I pulled that little stunt, she almost took a hammer to my iHome.

"So are we leaving or what?" She tossed something at me so fast I barely had time to catch the object. I raised my eyebrows at the keys in my hand. "You want me to drive?"

"Oh no. You're not stepping one pretty little toe into my car." I frowned. She laughed, patting my head as she walked by. "Come on Rapunzel, I've got a surprise for you."

Opening the front door, she ushered me outside, reaching back to grab something from the closet. "So here are my conditions." Her brown eyes seared through me as she tossed me the black helmet, the clear visor clinking against my jacket zipper.

A huge smile spread across my face as I glanced down at the street.

Sitting right in front of our little apartment and right infront of my Mom's Jeep was a black and beautiful Honda, the silver of the exhaust flashing in the sunlight. I could hardly keep myself from crying as she continued on. "I had Elise drop it off this morning. I will allow you to ride this death trap to and from school, and to work when you find a job, only if you swear on your first born's life that you will wear this helmet. And so help me god if I find out you didn't wear it, I will bash your head in myself."

I winced at the threat. "You know CPS would eat that shit up right?" My response did not earn any cool points. "Relax mom, I'm not stupid. One of us has to be the smart one in this relationship." I grinned. She sighed but quirked her lips up as her eyes looked to the sky. "Lord give me strength."

I scoffed. "Mom, we haven't been to church since that Jehovah's witness lady came to our door and actually made you believe that they drank wine afterwards."

"I mean it Shaylyn." She warned, pointing her finger at me. I sobered up and nodded. I'd wanted a motorcycle ever since my dad let me work on his with him when I was little. Don't get me wrong, I hate the asshole for what he did to my mom and us, but it was still our memory together. A time where everything was truly perfect, before the surgeries and never-ending fighting started. When my mom decided to stop the hospital visits, she let me take riding lessons from a friend of hers who had a motorcycle. When I was 16 he helped me get my license. We'd go all over the place together and I was thrilled to experience that feeling again.

"I'll be careful mama." I promised, jumping forward and wrapping my arms around her. She chuckled and hugged me tight. "I love you babygirl. Have fun." She pulled back and grabbed the helmet from me and shoved it over my head.

"Love you too!" I grinned and waved at her as she climbed into her car. I stood there for a few minutes after she left, almost afraid to climb on the bike in fears that I'd wreck it. I shook off my fear though and swung my leg over the seat, shivering slightly with the coldness of it. I stuck the key in and turned it, my excitement growing as the engine rumbled loudly, vibrating into my bones.

A loud beep sounded through my helmet, startling me, but then slightly muted music began to play, and I realized that the bike's radio had Bluetooth that connected to my helmet so that I didn't have to blast everyone out of the country when I rode through the city. Sweet.

I peeled away from the curb, a delighted laugh bursting through me as I sped through the streets of a busy Seattle. I was sure I looked absolutely crazy to the residents as I sang at the top of my lungs, practically screaming the lyrics.

It took me no time at all to pull into the busy high school parking lot, the clock on my bike blinked "8:00 am" at me. I slid into a motorcycle spot and shut the bike off, ignoring the curious stares of the students around me as I pulled off my helmet and patted my hair for any fly-aways.

"Wow girl, I was just about to come over here and ask you if you wanted to fuck later." I grinned, turning to face Genny, who gawked back at me. She gestured to the bike with a fling of her wrist. "What's up with the Scarlet Johansson look?"

I shrugged as I swung off the bike and tucked my keys into my jacket pocket. "I guess I felt like impressing some people today. But to be serious, back when my dad was around, he would let me work on his bike with him and since then I've always wanted one."

"Ah." Genny nodded. "Well I'm glad you made a good memory out of it."

"Yeah. My mom and I are better off without him anyway." I said as we walked into the school, heading towards the elevators.

Genny bumped my shoulder with hers, a grin working her lips. Her eyebrows wagged at me. "Ok but really, wanna fuck?"

I laughed out loud as the elevator doors slid shut.

Hey guys! Well, here's chapter five :) Lemme know how you like it!