VI

Six

Okay Shay, you can do this. Step 1 to the "Ignoring My Hot Teacher" handbook: don't look her in the eyes, don't gravitate your eyes towards her very ample chest, don't allow yourself to obsess over the taught muscles of her stomach, the shapeliness of her waist, and god those legs.

Man, blue really is her color.

Shit.

"Earth to Shay." Genny waved her hand in front of my face, snapping me back to reality and away from the stunning blond that was just down the hall, perfectly oblivious to my staring. She looked incredible in the royal blue modest dress she wore, her long hair piled up into a pristine bun, a light grey scarf curled around her neck.

"What?" I accidentally snapped at her, causing her to raise her eyebrows at me. "Wow okay. Note to self; don't interrupt Shay when she's lusting over our teacher."

I sighed and rubbed my face, feeling guilty. "Sorry. I don't know what it is about her, but she just gets under my skin."

"That's not all she wants to be under." Genny muttered under her breath as we started walking. I shot daggers at her for that comment but she only grinned sheepishly back at me. "I get it, she's stunning and frequently stars in your wet dreams, but you gotta keep it on the DL."

I sighed again and was about to reply when a hand wrapped around my forearm and gently halted me. I spun around so fast I almost hit Genny in the face with my hair. "Hey! Let go of me you prick-" My voice dropped off when I saw who it was. I didn't miss the way Genny stiffened beside me.

"Oh hey Caleb." I played it easy-going even though my skin crawled at his touch. Ever since Genny had told me those rumors about him, I felt incredibly uncomfortable at the thought of being alone with him or seeing him at all.

He smiled down at me, laughing at my outburst. "Hey yourself." His eyes darted to Genny, who looked anywhere but at him.

"I just wanted to confirm our-" he paused for a second as he thought of the right word to use. "Date?"

I winced slightly, looking sideways at Genny, who's eyes were pinned to me in a frightening way. I turned back to him, forcing guilt into my voice. "Actually something came up and I'm going to have to cancel. I'm sorry, I was looking forward to it." I lied about the last part, but he didn't need to know that.

His face fell, something hard filling his eyes even as he nodded. I suddenly realized his hand was squeezing my arm. I regretted my decision to take my jacket off. "Maybe next time? We have to get to class now." I hinted, but he didn't let go. If anything his grip grew tighter.

"Can you let go of me please?" My heart started to pound, sending an ache throughout my chest. I felt Genny's arm brush mine and knew she'd step in if he didn't let go.

But he did, stepping back as he shook himself out of whatever weird trance he was just in. "Sorry uh, yeah that's fine. I'll see you around." And then he spun on his heels and took off, muttering angrily under his breath.

"Well that was..." I tried to think of what to say as we resumed walking.

"Weird. I was about to tear his arm from the socket if he didn't let go of you." I glanced down at the mention of my arm and was surprised to see red finger marks. He must've grabbed me harder than I thought.

"Dick." Genny snarled as she eyed my arm. "If I ever-" Her threat was cut off by another voice.

"Is everything okay here ladies?" I smelled her perfume, faint vanilla, before I heard her voice. We turned to face Miss Conner, I tried hard to keep my eyes from straying but it was hard because she was so damn beautiful.

"Yeah sorry. We were just talking." She looked back and forth between us, but I saw her eyes linger on my arm. Her expression was carefully controlled. "Genny, why don't you go take your seat? I want to talk to Shay for a moment."

Genny shot me a half-smile before she slipped into the classroom, leaving us alone. "I saw Caleb grab you, are you alright?" I didn't meet her eyes for a moment before hesitantly lifting my gaze. Her eyes were worried and kind, an expression of tenderness I was starting to realize she hardly used with any one but me.

"Yeah I'm okay." I gave her a nervous smile, and she gave me a look that said she didn't believe me. Her eyes darted to the empty hallway a moment before she lifted her hand and ghosted her fingertips along the edges of the faint bruise. "I will have a talk with him about boundaries. He should not have handled you so roughly." A warm feeling spread through my chest at the simmering anger that brought out the accent in her voice.

"Are you sure you don't need the nurse? I can write a note for you." She hovered. As much as I loved being hovered by the great Miss Conner, it was getting a little awkward with us just standing out here.

"I'm fine, it's just a bruise. I've had worse. I don't want to talk about this anymore." I realized too late that my statement was probably a major red flag to her, but I darted into the classroom before she could say anything.

I slid into my seat and Genny made a questioning face at me but I waved her off as Miss Conner entered the room. Her eyes found mine, passing emotions from her to me, questions and anger and worry. I looked away, desperate for a distraction from the strange emotions this woman brought out in me. I dug out my notebook and pencil and was setting them on my desk when my phone vibrated in my pocket.

I glanced up for a second, making sure I was clear before I pulled it out. The message blinked across the screen, chills going down my back as I read it.

Unknown sender: I'm in town, I want to see you.

The hairs on the back of my neck rose and my stomach curled with nausea. I never saved his number because I didn't want it contaminating my phone.

Why after 12 years was my father just now trying to get a hold of me?

Genny nudged me in the ribs, hard, causing me to look up at her in annoyance and drop my phone in my lap. But then I realized everyone was looking at me. I hadn't heard a thing Miss Conner had been talking about and apparently she just noticed.

"Sorry." My cheeks burned as I sheepishly smiled. She didn't look happy, her lips twisting into an expression of annoyance.

"Something you'd like to share with the rest of us?" I shook my head. "No, I just um, got lost for a minute."

"Well, please refrain from that in the future. I was explaining to the rest of the class that you guys will be having a test next week on Thursday. I'll be handing out study guides today, and on Tuesday so pay attention." Embarrassment burned through me at the scolding, but I was also slightly irritated. Her attitude towards me had changed.

With a sigh I shoved my phone back into my pocket and tried to focus on the lesson. But I couldn't get that text out of my head.

Chapter 6!!!! Have a great day ❤️