Chapter 7 (Get Away) Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Morning." He replies as he turns off his game.

"How long have you been up?"

"Only a few minutes." He shrugs. "I'm hungry." He slides off the bed onto the floor. "Can I have pancakes with chocolate chips and powdered sugar and whipped cream on top? Oh and bacon and one of those omelette thingies."

I look at him with wide eyes. Clearly playing videogames so early in the morning has made him delusional. "This isn't a bed and breakfast." I remind him, and he smiles. "We can do blueberry pancakes with whipped cream, and I'll throw in some bacon and eggs. Okay?"
"Ugh, okay." He frowns. "You'd probably make it taste disgusting anyway." He runs off laughing before I can catch him.

"You shouldn't mess with the person making your food!" I call after him and get a loud laugh in return.

***

Breakfast is finished by the time Derek comes from our room. His hair is now styled in its usual naturally messy style and he's now clean shaven. He wears ripped jeans with a white t-shirt and carries the bag we packed last night over his shoulder. Just the sight of him makes my heart skip. He smiles and that's all it takes for my heart to nearly stop. Will I ever not be affected when he walks into a room?

"Morning buddy." He says as he ruffles John's hair. A large smile spreads across John's face as his eyes sparkle with admiration.

"Morning." John answers.

He drops the bag by the kitchen counter and comes over to place a kiss on my cheek. He stands behind me as he wraps his arms around my waist and places kisses along my neck. My body shivers at his touch and I nudge him gently in the stomach before we can get too carried away, and he lets go.

"Not in front of John, okay?" I whisper. "Save it for the trip." He pouts, but nods in understanding. I hand him a plate and carry the remaining two the table. I take my seat as I reach over and set a plate in front of John. "Try not to take too long eating, alright? We have to get on the road soon."

"You're the only one not dressed yet." Derek points out as he takes his seat at the table. "Seems like you're the only one that can't be wasting time."

"I'm also the only one that made you this delicious breakfast." I smile sweetly. "Don't worry, I'll be ready to go within the next thirty minutes."

"Want to make a bet?" Derek asks with a playful smile. "If you take longer than thirty minutes, I get to do whatever I want in the bedroom."

"Okay, then if I don't go over thirty minutes, you give me a fifteen-minute massage the next time I come home from work."

"Okay, it's a deal. Time starts now." I check the time as I start eating my breakfast. I'm not usually a competitive person, but the idea of him making the rules in the bedroom for a night scares me. That, and I'm in need of a good massage after a long day at work.

I finish my food first with a little under twenty minutes to spare. I leave John and Derek to their conversation as I go to take my shower. I shower as quickly as I can before changing into a pair of dark jeans and a white t-shirt. I steal my favorite sweatshirt of Derek's and slip it on. Since I'm crunched for time, and will be sleeping in the wilderness for the night, I skip makeup and leave my short hair to fall in its natural waves.

As I head back into the kitchen, I realize I still have three minutes left to spare. As I leave the bedroom with a smile of victory on my face, I notice the boys still sitting at the table talking. Their breakfasts have long been eaten and forgotten as they hype each other up about horsepower and car parts.

Their large smiles mirror each other as they talk excitedly about things I can't understand. It's amazing how well they're getting along in such a short amount of time. It's as if they've known each other their entire lives. I was sure it would take some work and a lot of time for them to get to this point. I'm happy that John finally gets the other brother he's always wanted.

"You guys ready?" I ask, interrupting their exciting conversation. They look up at me with the smiles still on their faces. John nods as he stands from his seat before moving to grab his backpack. Derek checks the time and for once the annoyed look on his face makes me smile. "I win. I'll be expecting my massage Monday evening."

"Fine." He says with a shrug as he stands from his seat. He approaches me and leans down to my ear. "But we both know you can't say no to me anyway." His warm breath against my ear makes me shiver. He suddenly places a kiss on my cheek before grabbing our prepacked bag and heading out the door with John. I take a moment to get myself together before following after them. Why does he have to be such a big flirt lately? He knows it makes me uneasy. He's always loved to get under my skin.