Chapter 4: First Mission

The underground passage was dark as Kara walked through it confidently with quick steps. She couldn't see anything, as her eyes hadn't adjusted yet, but the way was carved into her memory.

For the past two years, she had been coming to this secret facility to train for her missions. Kara had become an agent for the Kryptonian secret organization called "SKIS" – which meant "eye" in Kryptonese.

SKIS had been created to observe the suspicious activities in the galaxy, and to detect any kind of harm which would have stayed hidden to other normal and diplomatic methods – such as monitoring programs by Enforcers (Kryptonian military units that were legally situated on some other planets, providing safety and order, with the consent of the governing power in those regions.)

In other words, SKIS was Krypton's third eye, where Enforcers could not be

Kara Zor-El had clearly announced her devotion and determination on the day of her interview. After just one week, one of the army liaisons approached with an offer for her, to serve as an agent in an organization.

Kara pondered on the offer, eventually accepting it. This was her chance to finally play a more active role in revealing the truth and seeking justice for the victims of the underground networks of criminals and smugglers – like the alien trafficking.

In her wild dreams, Kara saw a day when she would find a way to exonerate her aunt Astra and set her free.

Through the past two years, Kara had learned to speak in some of the popular tongues of the galaxy, had trained in martial arts with the best fighters in their army, and had been on three missions – under the supervision of a higher ranked agent.

Every one of Kara's superiors were satisfied with her progress. Her parents though, were still uneasy. They wouldn't complain, but she read worry in their faces. They had accepted her way and she was grateful for their understanding.

Kara was wondering when her training would be over in these days, until she received an alarm for a meeting on her spy beacon.

Funnily enough, her aunt had given her a very similar gadget years ago to contact her. The one her mother confiscated right before she sentenced her own sister, to spend her days in the cold and dark space of the Phantom Zone forever.

Kara had turned off the alarm and rushed to the meeting.

As she was getting closer to the room she was summoned to, Kara wondered if they were going to send her on another mission with another superior agent. She flashed her badge to the door, waiting as the high tech device in front of her did a complete body scan before letting her in with a robotic voice. "S52, access granted".

There were three people waiting for her, and Kara's eyes widened as she saw both of her superiors she worked under in her time in SKIS, sitting in the room. Of course these weren't the highest people in the organization (as the directors' identities had been remained secret from first rankers such as herself.)

There was also a woman sitting on the last chair to the left. She had shoulder length brown hair and brown sharp eyes, looking at Kara with a warm smile on her face. She was Alex Chy-Lee – a more experienced agent who had worked with Kara since her first day at SKIS.

Every initiate in SKIS were assigned to a more experienced agent. Alex was the person who taught Kara the most important skills and lessons, and although she was only three year older than Kara, she was one of the best agents.

Alex was her mentor and her best friend. They had completed two short missions together, and mostly, it was out on missions assigned to Alex, that Kara had learned the most from over the past two years.