As I turned to my left, I saw Lafayette's panicked expression; he stared at me as though I was going insane. And with the plan I had, maybe I was. But it was worth the attempt.

I shifted the pistol to my left hand as I went to open the satchel that hung around York's neck. I untied the pocket with shaking hands: a slow, tedious process which was not helped by the fact that a gun was in the way of my fingers. And just before I finally picked at the knot, I spun on my heels, clutching the pistol in both hands, and shot at the man near Lafayette.

It was at that moment that all hell broke loose.

I yanked our bag shut, darting away from the spot where I'd been standing just as I heard something hit the ground behind me. I turned to see what it was but not before a burning pain shot through my back, sending me to my knees in agony. I faintly saw Lafayette draw his sword, all but ready to dive towards the man with murder in his eyes. I also mildly processed that bullet I'd fired had hit the man's partner, and he was then incapacitated.

But what I noticed most of all, in the front of my vision as I dropped to the ground, was the redcoat's dagger, now stained red with my blood dripping to the dry earth below it. I could hear commotion above me, on the horses, but paid it no mind until I heard a pair of boots hit the ground, and like that I was up. I felt like all hell, blood gushed from the wound in my back, and my vision was less than up to par, but I stood, ready to fight the redcoat in spite of it all.

As I faced him, though, my eyes widened at the sight of him cocking a pistol, aimed directly at me. I reached for my gun to counter his, I swallowed roughly upon finding my holster empty. I held up the gun I'd taken from him, cocking it and immediately attempting to shoot.

Nothing.

I pulled the trigger several more times, my heart pounding through my chest at the impossible situation.

I cursed the one time I'd left my sword un-holstered and opted for a pistol, as it seemed to have brought me to my end, and as though he could read my thoughts, the malicious smile of the redcoat's lips grew.

"Looks to me like you've met your end," he taunted, "when it really didn't even have to be like this. You could've quietly given us the bag, but no. You had to go and get yourself killed." He let out a dry chuckle as his looming figure approached me. "Then again, I don't really have to kill you. But it's just so much more fun this way, no?" He only came closer as I stifled tears, not letting my final moments be those of weakness. It was as the muzzle of the gun was pressed to the bridge of my nose that I nearly broke.

In the end, though, I didn't have to.

The uneven metal of the gun scraped my nose as it was jerked away from me, and the man staggered sideways, shaken by the blow to the side of his head. I nearly cried in relief, as the man cursed and turned to Lafayette, aiming an unsteady punch to wherever he could reach. The punch wasn't so much of a punch, as it turned out. The gun additionally made jagged contact with Lafayette's cheek as the man stumbled forwards, simply from the weight of his own blow. It was at that moment that I jammed my heel into the back of his leg, making his knees buckle as he fell backwards at my feet.

Of course, he scrambled to stand, but Lafayette was quick to draw his sword, holding it menacingly at the man's throat, and the unspoken threat was enough to make him back down. I bent down to yank the gun from his hand for the second time, sure to secure it in my holster so it couldn't again fall into his grasp. It was then that Lafayette spoke.

"You will continue on. You will not bother us any further, and if you do, we will not show you ze amount of mercy I am about to by sparing your life." He raised his arm slightly, the flat of the blade under his chin pushing it up, digging into the skin just far enough to break it. He gasped as blood rolled down his neck, and Lafayette swallowed hard. "Now go, tend to your wounded friend, and leave us, but do not forget us. I will spare you zis once, but never again."