VI

CHAPTER SIXCODE 19

CHAPTER SIX
CODE 19

'What do you mean you mean they're in containment?' my aggravated Uncle whines at me from outside the arena, trailing behind me from outside the bars, face bloated red with anger. 'I've got an Ingen inspection handle headed to this island as we speak. I need all four of those animals bolted in to those metal thingos in the next hour.'

'They're out of action for today because of them is sick,' I snarl. 'Deal with it.'

'And who authorised this exactly?'

He stood at the gate, arms folded and flared facials raised in question as if everything around him belonged to him. He made it. He paid for it. Therefore, he owned it. No regard for how it was living, biological life with its own thoughts and feelings. He thinks the entire world revolves around that damn company.

'I did,' I tell him, though it felt laughable that I had to reiterate it out loud.

'And Owen knows about it too, huh?'

'He would respect any orders I give out.'

After Alex had brought Delta's leg to my attention this morning, I'd called for all four of them to be kept in containment in their separate pens. I had Barry, Owen's right of hand on IBRIS when I wasn't around, on babysitting duty. Or rather, fending off Ingen duty.

'Unbelievable,' Hoskins hisses to himself. He points a finger to begin barking at me, but retracts himself away in frustration.

'What do you even need them for anyway?' I ask him bitterly. 'Infrastructure inspections require them in containment.'

He pulled out a satellite phone and began punching in a number, holding it firmly to his ear.

'Alex mentioned something interesting this morning too,' I say firmly, stepping closer to him. A string of sweat peppers is hairline, anger tainting his cheeks red. 'He told me that the job the doctor did on Delta the other week was so bad, it looked like it was done on purpose. Who assigned the doctor?'