≫ 17

Never corner a beast, less you are prepared to be mauled. That has always been somewhat of a saying, however it only ever applied to the most violent of situations. Akita studied the two who stood just a meter or two away from her. If she got lucky, she could knock them out and report them to the Hokage with time to spare, but she knew nothing of their abilities.

Akita was never one to judge by appearances if at all. She knew very well that no matter who or what someone was, there was always room for skill in combat. Especially in this world where you cannot even trust your own mind due to genjitsu.

" This is awkward, " the talkative one coughed. " we aren't actually going to jump you. Please put the pointy object away."

So he was aware of her weapon from that distance? Now she was absolutely sure she should exercise caution with the two. Her golden irises gleamed dangerously in the light of the sun.

" We're actually looking for someone. Someone very important. Could you help us," he asked. The teen took a step forward but that was enough for Akita to launch into attack. One second she was there and in the next, she disappeared from her spot with nothing but dust left behind. The larger man drew his hammer and shield, eyes scanning and a frown upon his bearded face. The smaller companion blinked in surprise, barely rolling out of the way as a dangerous dagger shaved off the ends of his hair.

Aeon did not draw his weapon despite the close encounter. This was a test of speed, not of skill. A small quirk of his lips did not escape Akita's attention as she approached from behind. Just like she had, the newcomer disappeared in a cloud of dust. Excitement followed her surprise. Perhaps a challenger worthy of her had finally arrived.

The man with the hammer sighed, relaxing his stance. There was no need to worry, his partner was capable enough on his own. One hit after another the two kept at it. Akita began to feel a small pang of frustration within the pit of her stomach. Although she was not skilled in the slightest, she has always been faster. So, why was this taking so long? Every move she made, the boy countered and delivered with twice the strategic power.

Taking a quiet sigh, Akita disengaged from her opponent. She did not fall into a resting position. The boy with dazzling mossy eyes raised his eyebrows with question.

"Done already," he asked. Akita's silence left somewhat of an awkward bubble between the two. Aeon cleared his throat.

"Not very talkative, are you? Either way I think you're willing to listen now. We're looking for a girl, came here roughly 12 or so years ago. Wouldn't look very normal," he explained. The larger one, Fili, snorted as if he were just waking up from dozing off. Akita still didn't respond. She was just mulling over the ideas she had to get the two in front of the Hokage.

She decided to try the easiest way. Raising her gloved palm to the chatterbox, the tanned girl motioned for them to follow. Not to her surprise, both followed as soon as she launched toward the largest building in the village. Aeon and Fili exchanged a peculiar look. Where was she taking them?

Her silence was a bit unnerving to Aeon. Was she mute or just unsociable?

Leading them up the stairs to her village head seemed to take forever. She wasn't one to be ceremonious, but these strangers didn't seem to come from this land. It would be favorable to leave a good impression, aside from their little spar just moments prior.

"Look what the cat dragged in," a familiar voice drawled. Immediately Akita's spine went rigid, stopping her in her tracks along with the strangers. Indigo flooded her vision as she stood in attention.

Fossa stood, with arms crossed, in the hall just before the Hokage's office; her gaze intense and stern as she studied the three.

"You thought you could bring a pair of foreigners to our Hokage without any doubt? What if they're here to assassinate him," she chided. Akita held her gaze downward, submissive to her teacher. She was correct, but it also seemed she was picking at the most insignificant details. Fossa could easily terminate them if things really came to it.

A hum of contentment reverberated in the masked woman's throat. That woman is too proud, Akita thought to herself.

"Seeing as you took initiative, I'll take them in to greet the Hokage. You are dismissed. I will see you at nine tonight," Fossa instructed. Aeon leaned over to his large friend whispering, "Is it just me or is this lady just a bi━" 

Fili squeezed Aeon's elbow to silence him. Any unnecessary comments could land them in a situation they don't want to be in. It was best to avoid confrontation, especially when they had no information on the way these people fought. Coughing to diffuse his thought, Aeon met the woman's icy stare. 

"It would be very much appreciated, miss. Take us to your leader...please."

Akita nodded her head before disappearing. Both Fili and Aeon took note of this ability. The ANBU said nothing before taking the two inside. Knocking thrice, Fossa awaited permission to enter. Once it was granted she lead the two inside, announcing their presence. 

"Lord Hokage, the two who wish to see you are not native to this land. I will oversee the conversation if you wish," Fossa said. 

The middle aged man waved a hand in dismissal. "No need," he replied. Shuffling the documents he had previously been reviewing, the man turned his attention to the visitors. Interest piqued in his dark eyes. 

"Hello, gentleman. What brings you to the Village Hidden In Leaves," Hiruzen inquired. The scent of tobacco was heavy. Files and scrolls of all shapes and sizes littered the room here and there. Aeon moved to speak, but Fili beat him to it. 

"Pardon our ignorance to your customs, Lord Hokage," the bearded man began with a bow. "We are here in search of a person who went missing some years ago. Specifically two missing people. They would have arrived inconspicuously."

The Hokage sat back in his chair, stroking his triangular beard with a thoughtful look on his face. Although it wasn't much information something did ring a bell. 

"I see," Hiruzen muttered. "Do you have anything further to identify these individuals?"

Fili shook his head. "I am afraid we don't have much to go on. They are mother and child. The mother...she may have a unique identifiable object with her. It is a necklace."

The Hokage nodded. "I can't say I've seen who you're looking for. I can give you visa to stay as long as you need to search for who you're looking for," he concluded. After a brief exchange, the two went on their way to find the nearest inn. The tips of Hiruzen's fingers tapped against his desk, summoning one of the new Anbu operatives. 

"Follow those two and report back their findings. Although I have an idea...I must be sure," he ordered. The Hokage knew they were from some  continent far away. The way they spoke, looked, and even held themselves was entirely foreign to anything he had seen before. Keeping an eye on them was for the safety of the village. Hopefully they wouldn't be too mad.

Hello, I'm alive!! It's almost been a year since I last updated...whoops. I've been suffering writers block. 

Some change you might have noticed: 

Eviian is now named Aeon. It's just easier to write tbh. 

Anyways...I've come back!!!