› 06

The pungent smell of alcohol hit her like a rock to the face. People of all shapes and sizes, of all rank and ability; were gathered in the decently sized space. Her eyes darted this-way-and-that trying to take everything in at once. Her ears rung from the sound of shouting and glass breaking.

She felt overwhelmed.

Akita jumped when a hand landed on her shoulder, reassuring and warm. "Take a deep breath. Don't try to process all at once, you'll just fry your brain," Hisashi instructed. Nodding, Akita did as she was told. Her eyes closed, welcoming the darkness and protection. In, out, in, out. She repeated the steps twice before the ringing in her ears stopped and mellowed out.

When the girl opened her eyes again everything seemed controlled. Hisashi gave her a grin, patting her on the back and moving towards the far left corner of the enclosed space. The Wyvern was a bar, if that wasn't already implied. Though, Akita suspected it was more than that. She had read enough books to know there was something more—and she knew that someone like Hisashi wasn't one to just visit a bar with a kid.

The mocha haired male waved his hand in the air. With each movement his fingers moved: index and middle, pinkie, all except thumb, and some other quick and weird hand gestures that resembled half seals. He did them so quickly, it looked like a normal wave. Her golden eyes caught onto a nod from a man with a bandana tied backwards on his head.

As the drew nearer, she noticed he was missing an eye and a thumb. From what, she didn't know and she wasn't sure she wanted to. "It's been a while, Gianni. How's the family?" Hisashi asked with that same grin he had given her earlier. The man snorted, shaking his head. " As good as they can be," Gianni replied. Akita took note of his strange accent. Where was he from? Hisashi bobbed his head, slipping his hands in his pockets.

"Good, good. Tell Esperanza I said hello," Hisashi said. Gianni gave a short nod before opening a hidden door between the wall. Akita gave the brown haired man a sideways glance, questions swimming within the depths of her irises. The way he pronounced such a name without fault suggested he was fluent in more than just Japanese.

She hasn't known Hisashi for very long, but she could already tell he was a man who worked in shadows.

"Come on," Hisashi prompted with a light jerk of his head. "We have to go through now." The onyx haired girl quickly followed after him, glancing once more at the man called Gianni.

The hallway was dark and dusty, lit with sparse torches to guide the way. Upon reaching the next flame, Akita stopped and tugged at Hisashi's sleeve. Where are we going? She asked. "Somewhere Sparrow would strangle me for taking you. Don't worry, it's not dangerous. Probably."

Without another word, he continued on with the young girl in tow. Somewhere that Sparrow wouldn't want her to go? Now she was definitely intrigued.

Hisashi knew he probably shouldn't be taking her to the place they were going. He had business with people who weren't very friendly, and had no time to drop off Akita at Sparrow's. Just thinking about what the blonde would do to him sent shivers down his spine. If he just asked Akita to be quiet about this little adventure...maybe Sparrow wouldn't bury pieces of him across the world.

"Ah! Here we go," he exclaimed. Akita's eyes caught sight of a plum colored, plush looking door, and her brow rose slightly. This is where they were going? It didn't look all that intimidating, but Akita knew how little looks mattered.

Take Kakashi, for example. He looks like a good person, but underneath that mask and those coal black eyes lays an asshole. A big, giant—

"Akita," Hisashi waved a hand in front of her face repeatedly in order to get her attention. Sorry, she signed. Where are we, exactly? I promise I won't tell Papa.