Chapter One: In which there is Murder, Mystery, Memories, and Bars

It was quiet in the Earl Reese's house. Reeves was in the kitchen, brewing tea for the master of the house. As usual, it was Earl Grey-the Lord's favorite. Reeves was to serve his master with a plate of fresh macarons with his tea. However, after finding he lacked several ingredients to make them, he headed upstairs to report to Master Reese.

He knocked twice before opening the door. "Hey..." He began, and then stopped. The bedroom was a complete mess. There was clothing hanging off all the furniture. The drawers had been pulled out of the dresser, and the wardrobe was empty. Several books were open on the floor. Neckties were hung from the small-unlit chandelier.

Lord Reese was on the bed wearing a long white shirt, grey boxers, and black socks. His legs were up against the headboard, while his pale blonde hair went in every direction. Earl Reese's large blue-gray eyes looked determined as they were fixed on the ceiling. In his right hand, he held another necktie, ready to throw it at the chandelier. "Cerberus, how is the tea coming along?" he asked in a cracked and raspy voice.

Reeves cleared his throat. "It's fine. However, we do not have any ingredients for those cookies you wanted. I'll have to go into town."

Reese suddenly rolled over and sat up in bed. With his eyes bulged wide, "In...to town?"

Child-like curiosity filled the earl's face. "Can we go?" he asked with enthusiasm.

There was that innocence Reeves often observed. He nodded. "Of course sir."

Reese jumped off the bed and walked toward his wardrobe. "But..." Reeves cleared his throat. "We're going to have to clean this up first."

"Of course." Reese nodded, taking a shirt off the windowsill. "But I shall miss my mess. Order is so overrated, you know."

Reeves chuckled. "Oh yes, overrated."

The walk into town was short, just half an hour according to Reeves' pocket watch. However, Reeves was worried that his master would become tired before they reached the market. On the other hand, his concerns were unnecessary as Reese skipped the whole way there.

Reese had dressed himself in what he called urban-camouflage. A wrinkled shirt, black overalls, and a news cap. To Reeves, he looked like any other street urchin, if not a bit cleaner. When he told Reese this, he was overjoyed.

The clock tower struck just as they entered the town, it was one o'clock. Reese grabbed Cerberus' arm. "Since it's already this late, let's just go to the bakery!" Reese requested.

"Alright," Reeves answered. "But we still need a few things anyway. We should stop by the butcher's on the way back."

Reese dragged his servant down the sidewalk, watching carriages and steam-powered contraptions go up and down the streets.

"Cerberus," Reese said as they passed the shops. "Let's—" He stopped walking and let go of Reeves' arm.

"Sir?"

Reese stared silently at the building in front of them. It was a large townhouse, stark white with tall iron-barred windows and double doors. Each door had a peephole and a large iron door knocker.

"It's still here." Reese's face had contorted into a melancholy smile. "Even now, it's still here."

"This place sir?" Reeves asked, patting his arm. "I heard this is a gentlemen's club."

Reese snorted, his facial expression grim. "Right. A gentlemen's club. The Hard Knocker." His small hands balled into fists. "To think I didn't notice it when I first arrived in town. I have half a mind to burn it down."