Nothing but a Broken Heart

Start from the beginning

"Then it kills everyone in the room. Focuses the mind, doesn't it?" the Doctor turned back to the android. "Who are you? Identify yourself." He turned his attention from the android to Reinette. "Order it to answer me."

"Why should it listen to me?"

"I don't know. It did when you were a child. Let's see if you've still got it."

"Answer his question. Answer any and all questions put to you."

"I am repair droid seven."

"What happened to the ship? There was a lot of damage."

"Ion storm. Eighty two percent systems failure."

"The ship hasn't moved in over a year. What's taken you so long?"

"We did not have the parts."

"Always comes down to that, doesn't it? The parts," Mickey interjected with a chuckle.

"What happened to the crew? Where are they?"

"We did not have the parts."

"There should have been over fifty people on your ship. Where did they go?" My eyes widened as I realized that we smelled the crew, that the androids had used them to repair the ship.

"We did not have the parts."

"Fifty people don't just disappear. Where- Oh," the Doctor replied, coming to the same conclusion I had. "You didn't have the parts, so you used the crew."

"The crew?"

"We found a camera with an eye in it, and there was a heart wired in to machinery."

"It was just doing what it was programmed to. Repairing the ship any way it can, with whatever it could find. No one told it the crew weren't on the menu. What did you say the flight deck smelt of?"

"Someone cooking," Rose muttered.

"Flesh plus heat. Barbeque. But what are you doing here? You've opened up time windows. That takes colossal energy. Why come here? You could have gone to your repair yard. Instead you come to eighteenth century France? Why?"

"One more part is required."

"Then why haven't you taken it?"

"She is incomplete."

"What, so, that's the plan, then. Just keep opening up more and more time windows, scanning her brain, checking to see if she's done yet."

"Why her?" Rose asked before glancing at the Doctor and then through the glass, almost as if she were gazing at me. "You've got all of history to choose from. Why specifically her?"

"We are the same."

"We are not the same. We are in no sense the same."

"We are the same."

"Get out of here. Get out of here this instant!"

"Reinette, no." The android teleported back to the ship. "It's back on the ship. Rose, take Mickey and Arthur. Get after it. Follow it. Don't approach it, just watch what it does."

"Arthur?"

"Good name for a horse."

"No, you're not keeping the horse."

"I let you keep Mickey. Now go! Go! Go!" The Doctor closed the mirror behind Rose and Mickey. The pair looked at me before they took off, leaving the horse behind. Arthur stayed with me, placing his head on my shoulder as I sadly watched the Doctor and Reinette. "Reinette, you're going to have to trust me. I need to find out what they're looking for. There's only one way I can do that. It won't hurt a bit." He put his fingers on her temples.