Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day by Erinwalker9

Sean Green stared straight ahead. It was all he could manage considering the circumstances. Sean know was abuse was like, how sometimes verbal abuse could be worse than the physical side. His whole family suffered from the effects of trauma. He snorted at the reflection in the mirror. We're a walking, talking PTSD after school special, he thought to himself. If only they didn't have to deal with days like today.

Owen Blackbourne continued to adjust the windsor knot of his black tie. He missed the comfort of his grey suit with maroon tie, but the occasion called for a classic black, three piece suit, crisp white shirt, and traditional matching black tie. If only the knot would cooperate with him. He usually didn't have trouble tying knots, but knowing what lied ahead and how it would severely affect one of his brothers and bring up bad memories for the others had him nervous. Owen Blackbourne hated being nervous. It meant that something was out of his control and control was the only way for Owen to keep a lid on his own emotions. He was the leader, this was his family, and they would fight all of their demons. Now if only he could fix his tie.

Gabriel Coleman moved quickly around Victor Morgan's closet. The suits he ordered were mixed up. Luke's jacket was somehow paired with Silas' pants. As if a man with legs as long as Silas' could ever have  torso a short as Luke's. The visual Gabriel was picturing made him snort in laughter. Good at least something is still funny on this day, he thought to himself as he worked to sort out the mess. After a few more tries, he successfully paired all of the mismatched pieces. This is why we can't all wear black at the same time, he mused. Shit like this only works when it's just North.

Luke Taylor was dreaming of cake. Not just any cake, but chocolate espresso cake, with a dark chocolate ganache, topped with white chocolate shavings. And chocolate sprinkles... or M&M's would be nice... Or Hershey Kisses... Luke was only taken out of his daydream when his brother North punched him in the arm. With a grunt that Luke knew to mean "Stop thinking about candy," Luke moved onto other topics. Like how he wished they were not sitting waiting for Gabriel to finish sorting out the clothes they were to wear. Why today? Why did we have to do this today of all days?

North Taylor fucking hated days like today. It was damp and dreary, and he couldn't take the bike out in this weather. Not that anything—least of all the fucking weather—stop him from being there for his brother today. He would dutifully put up with the pomp and circumstance even though he thought Kota's piece of shit father didn't deserve it. His mind knew that Kota's father had an impeccable service record, but he also knew what happened when Kota's father wasn't on active duty.

Silas Korba wondered how long it would be before he could take off the suit he was wearing. Gabriel had sorted through his suit first. The downside to being so big was that his items were easily identifiable in situations like this. Thus he was dressed and ready to go before the rest even had their suits. The black tie was strangling his neck, but it was nothing compared to how Kota must be feeling. What a shit day.

Victor Morgan furiously typed at his keyboard. There must be something I can do to make today better, he thought to himself. George may have been a shit father, but he never laid a hand on Victor. Kota's father was someone you didn't want within a thousand feet of you. Victor's typing paused when he thought about those days back in elementary school. They were so young, and so vulnerable. Their family had banded together because they were all broken. Even after all of these years they were still supporting each other through the ups and downs of their family life. It's what made them who they are. Victor went back to typing.

Nathan Griffin could barely contain his anger. It was just like Kota's shit father to pull something like this. Nathan and Mr. Lee had never had a good relationship. Nathan was always the pansy kid from down the street who made Kota a "pussy". Mr. Lee reminded Nathan a little too much of his own father. If it wasn't for Erica, Kota nor Nathan would have had anyone to turn to. Erica held them both together through their childhoods and they would hold her up today.

Sang Sorenson held onto Kota's hand harder than she ever had before. Holding his hand made her feel like she could send her strength to her 52. Logically, she knew there was nothing she could really do but wait for Kota, Erica, or Jessica to say that they needed something. So she would continue to hold his hand until that time came. It was the least she could do for one of her loves; her first friend.

Kota Lee couldn't believe the group of people that had come out today. It wasn't your normal Veterans' Day, but nothing felt normal in the last few days. Not since he received a call from the office of Veterans' Affairs asking if the family would be requiring an honor guard for the funeral did the world feel normal. Kota had not seen his father in years, but hearing that your dad had passed away was never easy, finding out from a total stranger was even harder, and having to tell your mother the news was the worst. Erica may not have been married to him still, but Kota knew that a small part of her still loved the man she once knew.

But as Kota looked around at the group that had gathered, he knew that they would all make it through. His family was there, the Academy Hospital—where Erica had transferred years before—had sent a large delegation, the Tomas, The Andersons, Uncle and the staff at the diner, The Roberts Team who had retired recently, and the entire Academy Council were in attendance. While his family was grieving and dealing with memories best left buried, the Academy had stepped up and taken care of them. Meals appeared, missions were suddenly taken care of, counselors were provided for The Blackbourne Team, Erica, and Jessica, and a steady stream of visitors had come by to lend support.

As Taps played, and a flag was presented to Erica, Jessica, and himself, Kota looked around again. The Academy would always be there for them. Even when they couldn't.