Chapter Two: The Link

Chapter Two: The Link

My eyes were concentrated on her but my ears had heard those words that escaped Spencer’s lips. Her eyes were wide with shock, an expression I rarely see worn by Mint Lincoln. In my memories, an ever bright smile was always plastered on her pretty face and her voice was ladylike, always controlled and moderated. I was nothing like her, we were kind of opposites but somehow, there were two things we want, him and arts. That’s why we were rivals.

“It’s…it’s nice to meet you.” Her usual demeanor came back and I bit back a sarcastic reply. “I’m Mint Lincoln.”

I glared at Spencer and he gave me a pleading look, mouthing a ‘please go along with me’. Defeated, I shook her outstretched hand and blankly reply. “Same here.”

“So, tea?” She offered.

I shook my head, “I’m feeling kinda nauseous. I’d want to go home.” I replied politely and I almost vomited there and then. I can tolerate talking formally but I cannot help but feel disgusted whenever I talk to her. I hate her and that hate ran deep down.

She looked at me before she smiled again, “How regrettable.”

“You really want to go?” Spencer questioned and I nodded. He turned to her and muttered an apology before he dragged me towards what I’d assume to be the parking lot. Every now and then he would glance at me with inquisitive and curious looks but no one spoke. It was when we finally reached the parking area that he decided to open his mouth, “How are you feeling?”

“Just a bit dizzy. Must from the crowd. Please take me back to the office.” I requested and he blinked at me.

“You’re not gonna question what transpired moments ago? The girlfriend thing?” He asked unsurely and I stared at his nervous look. I wonder if he planned that the moment he asked me if I wanted to come or if he just talked without thinking.

I shrugged, “It’s fine for as long as this will be the first and last time.”

He grinned and that assured me. He looks trustworthy and enough and for being one of the person I admire, I’m gonna place that trust with him.

I smiled at him. “Good.”

But his reaction was not. He gave me a flabbergast expression and with his jaw dropped, I twitched. What the hell was the freaking problem?

“You…actually smiled.” Spencer stated.

I once again twitched and sent him a glare before taking the helmet roughly and kicking him in the shin. “I am human, you know.”

He laughed, “I know and a cute one too.”

Our eyes met and I stared at him with a stunned expression as blood rushed to my cheeks. He actually called me…cute or was my hearing starting to get impaired? He was staring at me as well and I couldn’t help but if possible, my face heated more.

“Really, you’re too cute.”

I looked away and huffed, “Let’s go.” I commanded and we lapse in an awkward silence but somehow, it wasn’t the kind of irritating awkward. It was uncomfortable but in a different kind of way. The atmosphere was difficult to describe and yet it wasn’t suffocating.

“Here you are.” He said as we reached my current residence. I turned to him and stared at him skeptically. I was sure I haven’t release where I was currently staying and not even Jake new that my sister lived in Portland so how did a person I just met today knew where I live?

“You’re a stalker.” I stated.

His jaw dropped, “No! I’m—”

“Iris!” My sister’s voice came and we both turned to find the brunette rushing towards us from the entrance of the two story mansion. Had I ever told you her husband was filthy rich and adorable? He was the one who encouraged me to continue my studies abroad after our parents died four years ago, just six months after their marriage and three months before graduation from junior high.