39

Negan
"Where's the bat?" Dwight was staring at me through my side view. "Gone. That thing wasn't practical to began with." He nodded and I kept half my attention to the road. The other half to Ann. What did she think? How much more pain did I cause her?

"Since when did you start caring about practicality?" I could hear the humor in his tone. "The day my wife came back from the dead." I gave him a small smirk and turned back to the road.

A long gray dreary building with some brown tinted windows. The place was uglier than I remembered. It seemed so big, yet hollow. A chill ran up my spine when i put my foot on the break and the truck in park. Strange, this used to be my castle, but now i can see it for what it really was.

When I got out, I slammed the door behind me and took a step forward. For a moment, just staring up at this place. "Negan?" Dwight came from around the vehicle to stand by my side. "You good?"

"No." I headed for the entrance.

"Assemble everyone in the main hall. It's time for an announcement." Dwight nodded and turned the corner to the market. I myself was bound for the room.

Opening, I took in the sight of my old room. It felt so surreal seeing it again after everything. So cold and so isolated. But then again, that's who I became as a person. I wanted to step in, I nearly had. But it doesn't belong to me anymore.

I closed the door behind me, and turned to make my way to the hall. I just wanted for this to be over. Down the hall and to the right, I found my way to the top of the stairs looking down on the gathering people. Dwight was already there, leaning against the bars of the metal railing when i came to grip the rail, staring down at the people looking up to me. This time, it didn't make me feel powerful. Only small.

"Hello, everyone." I smiled, not sure how to even start. "Uh...well," I continued to trail off with my words. "I've been a fucking douche to all of you." I noticed the immediate reaction of confused glances they made at each other.

"Really. This isn't a test and it's not a joke. I've been a complete ass. Unfortunately, it's taken me awhile to really see that." I started to twist my hands tightly around the cold bars. I can do this...I couldn't, so I pictured Ann.

"I used to think this was the way to lead. That it didn't matter how I did it, as long as I stayed at the top, as long as I kept order, the means justified the ends. And I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't totally selfless. I did it because it made me feel like I had a purpose. That I was making this world better. That I was right...but I was wrong."

I turned to look at Dwight, I could see the shock on his face. I could see it on everyone else when I looked back.

"I know this may seem sudden. But these last past few months, I saw how other people lead. I saw they did it as a family. No rankings, no workers, no places. Just people fighting together to survive this fucking crazy ass world. Seeing that, seeing how I acted, I made what's left of us weaker, I don't want to do that anymore."

My hands were shaking and my knuckles white. I took a deep breath. "So, from now on, there are no more Saviors. Just people. People I think can put there trust in a man who I am really hoping can handle the job." I put my hand on Dwight's clothed shoulder, bringing him towards me.

"Dwight will be your new leader. Someone who's going to do a decent job. Because if he doesn't, I'll kill him." I smiled, but saw no one laughed.

"A joke." I raised my hands. "But seriously, I still want to help this place stand. To set new rules that will benefit everyone. Not just a select few. You probably have a lot of questions, but I'm leaving it to Dwighty boy to answer those." I smiled and patted Dwight on the back, backing up as he began to one by one take the crowds concerns and questions. Happy for once. The best damn decision I ever made as Negan, leader of the Saviors.

Afterwards, I sat with Dwight and a few newly appointed members who could help run this place. Going over installing new ways of running the market, rationing food, talks of working with other communities as allies, rather than servants to them. It felt strange, but so right to be doing it as a team. Hours had gone by, but all the more accomplishing when I was done.

I decided it was time to go, I excused myself and made my way down the halls to the exit. Everything seemed clearer. I felt a ton of bricks had been lifted from me. And all the more excited to get back to Ann. I practically skipped to my truck, getting in as fast I could. Starting, and hitting the gas paddle in reverse. I can never undo what I have done. But I feel hope it's not too late to start doing good.

There Ann sat, atop the lookout station. She offered to take watch for Spencer and enjoy the cool night. The stars were out and shining brighter than ever. The air had an eerie but calming peace to it. Most of the residents of Alexandria had gone to sleep and she was all alone. Alone with only her sniper and tears.

"God, I know I don't deserve it, but let it all be ok. For my baby, for my family, for Negan...let it all be ok. Because I can't do it anymore." She signed against the handle to her weapon, letting the tears drip down as she silently sobbed to herself. "Even if Negan decides to stay there, let him make the right decisions." She prayed, blurred eyes looking up into the nights sky.

It wasn't dark for long after that though, bright white lights appeared down the road. The sound of a very familiar engine roared and butterflies filled Ann's stomach. Could it be? She asked herself and stood, hooding her sensitive sight from the intruding flashes. Ann immediately climbed down the stairs of the ladder, running to the gate and sprang it open, just as Negan opened his door, jumping out.

"I didn't...didn't know you'd come back." She stood feet from him, too shocked to move. "You're my wife, Ann, and you've already told me we've been separated enough. I'm never leaving you again." He walked closer to her, now towering her tall frame and smiled down at her. Instinctively, she wrapped her arms around his body, her face pressed against his chest. "Hey now, I was at least expecting a little kiss." She chuckled and happily raised herself on her toes, pressing her lips to his. There, they stood in the midnight hour holding each other. She locked her hand with his, and pulled him towards her home. Now their home.