Chapter 23

Reader's POV:
"Nothing!" Ann flung the dead wires out of her face as Negan helped her from under the driver's seat.

"That's the 7th car we've tried and it's either missing wheels, gas, or just a big fucking pile of junk." Negan huffed, keeping Ann's rather hurried pace. "We'll find more. But we have to soon." Ann looked up at the sky. The moon already shining dimly in the crisp air.

"Perhaps a house instead?" Negan raised an eyebrow. "You've seen one the entire time we've been walking? Ann didn't know where they were. But she knew they had a better chance searching for a car than they did a safe room they could spend the night in.

"They're alright. I don't know them much, but they're survivors. They probably already dealt with the problem and set out a search party."

Negan looked over to Ann. He knew what really was on her mind. Her eyes were dead and for a second, she almost looked like a Walker. The way she moved and the lifeless expression she bore. "And if they sent that firecracker on our trail...Maggie? She'll hunt us down in no time." Negan could see a slight glint of smile.

"I really hope that isn't the case though. I have the slightest feeling she doesn't like me. Must be the hormones. I notice pregnant women don't like me."
Now that was a full fledge smile. Ann shook her head. "Pregnant or not, no one likes you." Ann glanced towards Negan as he scoffed.

"Please, I'm amazing." That one earned a roll of the eyes and her own scoff. "You are something that starts with an A. Amazing isn't it." Ann shook her head, walking further past Negan, down the old cemented road.

Earlier at Alexandria

"Daryl will go through the sewers, he'll find a car close to the gates and we can start luring them away. Whatever's left we can take here."

They began to scatter from the room, intent on ending this today. "Rick," Maggie stopped him on the way from the small chapel. "And then?" Maggie didn't know if Ann was dead or alive. Either way, she was going to find out. No matter what.

"Once we have a clear path, we are going to find her." He put a hand to her shoulder, "Don't think about it, you've seen what she's survived." She gave a faint smile. Rick shared the expression and nodded her off.

Later on that night...

"What about that one?" Negan pointed towards a decrepit house. One that clearly had seen better days. "It doesn't even have a door." Ann chuckled through sagging eye lids. She was practically dragging herself at this point.

"So, if we passed out, the Walkers might mistake us for the actual dead." He tried to lighten the mood. She chuckled, but the moonlight faint as it was, still showed her empty character. Negan was about to go to her, when he noticed something in the far distance.

"So, no houses right? How about a hotel instead?" He pointed towards it. A withered 4 story hotel, its windows were dark and the sign showed its neglect over the years. There was no denying the apocalypse did little to cause the damage the building already suffered. It only matched. Despite all of it, its walls remained. Any other day, they would have walked past it, but this day had left little physically and emotionally to spare.

"I'd say it has vacancy. Wouldn't you?" He smiled a dimpled grin, but instead of arguing to look for something better, she followed him towards the hotel. Within a minute they had been at the door. Chipped, with hinges barely keeping it together. Ann gripped the knob, gently pushing it open.

"I'll go." He leant the bat to his shoulders, but she stopped him. "It's pitch black in there." She leaned her head slightly in, whistling as she had done many times before.

The snarling came first, then the four Walkers after. Ann kept her back to the wall. Negan was the first to swing, taking out two in seconds. Ann was next, carefully, and slowly putting down the creature.

"Wait." Ann knelt down, taking something from her bag. "Here, I advise you use this first if you expect me to go in." She handed him the flashlight. Glad she borrowed it from Hilltop.

Negan shun the light towards the counter, a knocked over phone and mix matched papers scattered the floor. Bag after bag of various suitcases were stacked against the wall. Chairs pushed over and flat screens hanging by nothing but wires.

"Well, I wouldn't exactly give it 5 stars." That was the first joke Ann had cracked all day. Negan noticed how she kept close to him. "I'll be sure to say something to the manager." Negan smirked, keeping his bat and the light raised. "Let's find a room."

They used the stairs to creep up to the second story. Finally, they came upon a room. Room 206. The numbers had rusted away. As before, Ann whistled to make sure the area was safe. Afterwards, they both walked in, shutting the door behind them. It was complete darkness, with only the flashlight for them to settle in.

"The doors locked, but I have the couch in front of it. The bathroom is clear, and," Negan turned swiftly, taking the light with him. "I found these." He brought in a maids cart. "We're sleeping good tonight." He threw Ann some fresh towels. "And sheets." He cheerily sang, laying the sheets down on the bed.

"I think that's good enough for tonight." He plopped down on the bed. Pulling the dusty pillow to his face.
"Cuddle?" He held out his arms, but instead of embracing, Ann turned to lay on her side.

"Fine, have it your way. But don't come to me when you get cold." He chuckled, laying on his back as he spread out. "Goodnight, Ann." But nothing. Ann remained mute as she watched the door through the darkness. Tired, but unable to sleep.

Damn...I suck at updating. But I'm gonna do better I promise. I know nothing really happened this chapter but I got some pretty neat stuff (at least I hope) coming up so, hope you enjoy! As always thanks for reading and have a lovely day :)